childhood trauma (is overrated)

K⃟R⃟L⃟

Crying out in the middle of the road as it rained stood Y/N, phone gripped tightly to her ear even though the call had ended a minute ago. Quiet sobs wracked through her body as she coughed and cried out for the person on the other end of the line, but to no avail.

"Please... Please!" She screamed before trying to call the number again, clutching the phone tightly while pressing it to the side of her head desperately. The identical chime of rings were the only thing that could be heard before a voicemail message began to play.

"PLEASE!" She yelled again before dropping her arm to her side, shoulders shaking violently while she yawped in agony.

Her body remained still and unresponsive as the rain beat down harder against her body, thunder rolling in the distance. At the sound, she decided it would be best if she head inside. Before even taking a step in the direction of her house, she stopped to think.

What would her stepmom think if she returned from the street, soaking wet and crying for a person that shouldn't have such a hold over her emotions? That vile gold digger would most likely laugh and call her pathetic.

Turning on her heel, she decided the best place to stay would be Karl's. It wasn't a long walk from where she was, she was close by due to her wandering the town before it started raining. Before she got that dreaded call.

Knocking on the back door, Y/N sniffled and waited to see that familiar smile she loved. When the door opened, she waved silently.

"Clothes, please?"

Karl nodded and ran to his room to collect something comfortable, Y/N stripping under the roof's hangover before stepping into the house. Karl traded the dry clothes for the wet ones, taking them to his drying machine as his girlfriend changed.

When she was done, she stalked into the room Karl resided in, watching as he stood from the drying machine to face her. Shaking gently from the cold, she walked into his open arms and let the world go quiet.

"Hey, what's going on? Did your stepmother do something?" Karl spoke in a hushed question, rubbing the girl's back gently. Y/N only shook her head.

Karl picked Y/N up and walked to his bedroom, putting her down on one side of the bed before pulling the blankets over her. He sighed and bit at his nails, anxious and lost. How was he supposed to help if she wasn't talking?

"Can you at least try to sign or something? I want to help you-"

"My mom."

"Okay... What about her?" Karl felt the pit in his stomach drop deeper at the mention of the girl's mother, knowing that whatever she had to say wasn't good.

"She called me. Before I came here."

"What did she want?" The brunet sat on the bed and soothed circles into the quiet girl's arm.

"She told me she would be here tomorrow. That she misses me. My dad's sister showed her a picture of what I look like now- she says she wants to be in my life again," Y/N sniffled and kept her eyes trained on the wall ahead.

"What are you gonna do?"

"I can't go back, Karl. She hurt me once, I know she's going to do it again whether she shows up or not. Please let me stay here, I can't be in that house with her there," she choked out before turning to meet his gaze.

"You can stay. I'll talk to my mom in the morning, okay? We'll figure this out together," Karl assured before laying down beside her, draping an arm over her waist as he peppered kisses down her jaw lightly.

"I hate her. I hate that bitch for leaving me."

"Childhood trauma is overrated," Karl chuckled breathlessly.

"Right? Everyone thinks it's so cool and quirky when in reality it makes you a little whiny mess," Y/N sighed and turned to kiss Karl goodnight before playing with his hair gently.

When the morning rolled out bright and early, Karl and Y/N most certainly did not. Legs entangled and arms wrapped around one another, the teens slept in on the sunny Saturday, no regard for the world or its planned events.

Sadly, one of them should have been up to warn his mom of the angry woman at her doorstep. There at a sharp quarter to 12, Y/N's stepmom knocked on the front door furiously.

When Mrs. Jacobs opened the door and gave her a look that read confusion, it all settled into realization as the woman introduced herself.

"Hello, miss! I was wondering if my stepdaughter was here? She's about this tall, usually wearing a skirt, dating your son. This is his house, right? She hadn't come home last night and we're worried sick!" The woman huffed in fake concern.

Mrs. Jacobs looked her over, knowing this was the woman that Y/N talked so lowly of- the woman who had a distaste for her son. The motherly instincts kicked in, Mrs. Jacobs standing much straighter than before.

"No, she isn't. I'm so sorry I couldn't help. If she was, I would have known. I'll ask Karl if he can call her and possibly even go out looking later," Mrs. Jacobs smiled before closing the door, then making her way to Karl's room.

When she saw both teens still sleeping and cuddled up, she looked over them fondly before walking in and pulling the curtains open, sunlight hitting their faces abruptly.

"Ma! Relax!" Karl whined and turned away to cover his eyes. On the other hand, Y/N sat up and waved, mumbling a greeting.

"Someone better start talking and explain why I just had Y/N's stepmom on my goddamn porch," Mrs. Jacobs startled both Y/N and Karl.

"Umm, my real mom is coming to stay at my house for a little in hopes of repairing our relationship for reasons I don't know. My stepmom is looking for me so she doesn't have to deal with my mom alone," Y/N explained and stood from the bed, stretching.

"I was gonna ask if she could stay over for the time being, but I got a little tied up," Karl laughed lightly.

"Yeah... Of course you can stay, honey. For as long as you need. I understand this is hard for you. You just tell me what you need and I'll be right there to help, okay?" Mrs. Jacobs assured before placing a soft kiss to the girl's head and leaving the room, saying something about breakfast.

"Well, might as well make yourself comfortable, huh? You're here for how long?" Karl asked.

"Probably just a week. She said something about staying for six or seven days," Y/N groaned and trudged over to collapse onto Karl once again, keeping them both bed-bound.

Karl reached his hand over to stroke the girl's hair, smiling as she leaned into his touch. At her little sighs of content, he chuckled quietly, basking in the sweet silence that filled the room.