getting attention (at work)

G⃟E⃟O⃟

"Oh, Clay! Of course your father and I can come watch your game! We wouldn't miss it for the world!" The blond's mother cooed from across the table, bright smile reaching her eyes as always.

Beside Clay was Y/N wth tight-knit brows, utensils held so tightly they looked as if they could snap. The basketball captain's sister was brushed off yet again, their mother ignoring every single word she had just said.

"Will you be driving there straight from work?" Y/N asked as she poked at her food, not daring to make eye contact. If she did, she might have thrown a fit.

"Yes, your father and I both. We don't want to be late."

"How am I going to get to work?" The girl huffed, rolling her eyes in pure annoyance.

"Uber?" Clay snickered and flipped her off, a glare being sent his way in return.

"Why would I do that when I can just drive your car?" The girl asked with a mocking tone.

"You touch my car and I rip your fucking hair out-"

"You're such an asshole, Clay-"

"No swearing at the table!" Their mother cut in, their father already zoned out of the conversation.

"He swore first! I wouldn't have if he didn't!"

"You're such a bullshitter, Y/N. Just walk to work-"

"YOU'RE ADOPTED ANYWAY!" The blond's sister screamed, practically shaking the walls. Standing from the table and storming to her room after shouting the false statement, tears gathered in her eyes.

From the day they were born, Clay's mother always favoured him over Y/N. Whether it was because he was a boy or because he looked exactly like his mother, Clay was the golden twin. The preferred. The treasured.

Clay and Y/N looked nothing alike. Sometimes people mistook them for a couple due to them looking so different. Maybe that was why their mother couldn't stand to look at Y/N, because she looked like she didn't belong.

Or maybe it's simply because mothers love their sons but raise their daughters.

Sitting on her bed with a pillow pulled to her chest, back facing the door, Y/N typed away at her phone, blowing up her girl's group chat. They always let her rant about her family, all girls losing interest in her brother once they learned what he was really like.

With a groan, Y/N grabbed her purse and packed it with her books, knowing she couldn't sulk all morning. As her family moved freely around the first floor without tension, the girl waited for them to file out of the house before leaving.

By simply taking a look outside her front door, she could already see Clay had taken off in his sportscar, not waiting for her to catch up. With a roll of her eyes and a click of her tongue, Y/N started on her hike to school, eyes scanning over the large area absentmindedly.

She never questioned why Clay got a car for their sixteenth birthday two years ago and she didn't, knowing she'd lose that battle with a measly excuse and a flick of her mother's gold bangled wrist.