Chapter 14

Lea

"Welcome back, Doc Lea," welcomed the interns who were under my service for the past seven months.

Yup, it's been seven months since the interns came and yes, it's been seven months since Doc Aga came.

Parang it feels like the months passed by so fast. It felt like only a month.

"Thank you," I replied before leaving them on the nurse station.

It's my first day back since the incident and now my wrist and ankle is back on its function. I need not to worry about it anymore.

When I was at home for a week, I stayed in my bed and the couch only. My Mommy was super caring and even my brother. They left their work just to protect me and make me safe because of what happened at home and what did it cause me.

We also installed more advanced security. The gates, the walls, and the CCTVs. The door knobs also aren't the ordinary door knobs I had. They bought something more secured and more safe.

I know their actions are a bit too much, OA if that's what you call it, but it made me felt safe.

I also spent 24 hours alone in the house and I survived. I felt safe. I felt protected.

"Dr. Salonga! Glad you're really back."

Dr. Zulueta handed me a coffee after hugging me.

"What's the coffee for?" I asked curiously.

"It's from Aga. He's on a surgery kasi kaya he asked me to give you that para sa first day mo."

"Is he done na kaya or still ongoing?"

We both walked on the hallway heading to the elevator.

"Baka tapos na siya. Kanina, before I went here kasi they're starting to close up the patient na."

I pressed the sixth floor and Dr. Zulueta pressed on the fifth floor.

The elevator opened up on the fifth floor and Dr. Zulueta went out after saying goodbye. Then the elevator went up to the sixth floor and there I hopped out the elevator.

I'm outside the family room and I saw Doc Aga talking to someone, maybe family of the one he just operated on.

He still has his surgical cap and even a gown.

"Your father is recovering in the ICU but he should be awake in a few hours," said Doc Aga before leaving the room.

"Looks like you had a great surgery, huh."

I am glad too, Dr. Zulueta.

I smiled at Doc Aga who's currently removing his scrub cap.

"I had. Also, I am glad that you're finally back to work."

He grabbed the chart a nurse is handing him and wrote things on there, perhaps his orders, and then handed it back to the nurse again.

"How are you now?" asked Doc Aga.

"Very much better than last week, of course. I can do work with my wrist and ankle. Hindi ko na kailangang umupo for the whole day sa sofa."

"You—"

"Help!" We were alarmed by a shouted coming out from room 602.

The door opened and revealed a woman who's shouting, "Help my son!"

We entered the room and the monitor is creating noise in the room.

"What happened?" asked Doc Aga to the woman, who is the patient's mother.

"We were talking and then he just..."

"He's in Vfib." I announced and lowered the bed then removed the head board.

"Push one of epi," I ordered and one of the nurses followed my order.

"Paddles," I asked and Doc Aga gave it to me.

I positioned the paddles on the patient's chest and prepared for the first shock.

"Charge to 150," I ordered so Doc Aga charged the defibrilator.

"Clear."

All hands off the patient's body.

After the first shock, there was still no change on the patient's condition. Pressure is still dropping.

"Again."

"Charge to 200."

"Clear."

>>

"I don't like the juice in this cafeteria. Tastes like medicine," reklamo ni Doc Dawn.

She sat down on the vacant seat on our table.

"I agree. I wonder what is in it," agreed Doc Aga who is on the same table as I am.

We shared the table for lunch after meeting each other sa elevator pababa dito sa cafeteria.

Doc Dawn's phone vibrated while she was eating her salad.

"Crap! I need to go."

She left her food there and rushed heading to her department floor.

"I saw this one patient who has a DNR sign on the door of unit in the ICU," Doc Aga said.

I didn't respond to his words and just continued eating while I wait for her next sentence.

"I sometimes wonder, why do other people don't want to be revived when they crash? I mean, don't they want to be with their love ones even just for a short time?"

I don't know why Doc Aga suddenly asked those. It's something new for me to hear from him.

"Are you telling me these for me to give my response or for me to just listen?" I asked for affirmation, of course.

"Response. I wanna know what you think."

When he gave me his affirmation, I started to tell him my insights about the topic.

"I believe, DNR patients love to be with their love ones but they can't. They can't in a way that the patient is giving so much pain for the love ones,"  I started.

"So, let's say that you are the love ones. Of course you'll feel pain seeing your family member in that case. Seeing your family member suffer," I paused and looked at Doc Aga who's, I believe, thinking about the scenario I am giving.

"Another reason for DNR patients to choose not to be resusitated is that they are tired. Tired of living, perhaps. Tired of fighting, can be."

The noisy cafeteria didn't bother Doc Aga thinking about the topic. He's currently staring at nowhere and just playing with his food.

I don't know what he is thinking right now, but what I know for sure is that, DNR patients have reasons why they signed for it.

👩‍⚕End of Chapter👨‍⚕