| Chapter Twenty-Six |

The next day, Peggy and I walked in together with our arms linked. I still had my apartment at the Griffith, so I snuck Peggy in with me to grab her stuff from her old one they still hadn't messed with and she stayed in mine. She had told me that Howard had offered her, Angie, and I a place to stay at one of his very large houses. The two of them accepted, while I was just fine in my apartment at the Griffith. I hadn't been thrown out, yet.

"I know we talked a bit last night about him," Peggy started as we started to wait in the elevator. "But where do you and Jack go from here?"

The elevator doors dinged open and I shrugged. We stepped out as I answered. "I don't know, Peggy. It at least seems like we both want to be together but aren't there company rules and stuff?"

Peggy was about to respond, but an agent we passed started clapping. I was confused, and looked from him to Peggy, who was also confused. As we walked in the bullpen the other agents clapped. Compliments were thrown at us left and right, and I had a hard time figuring out who was saying what with how many people were speaking. We even shook a couple hands.

I shared a look with Peggy and we both laughed a bit, extremely lost and confused on the whole thing. When I looked right in front of us, I saw Jack standing there, staring at me, and clapping louder than the others. Peggy nudged me and I gave her a look that said, Not here.

Daniel got up from his desk and stood next to Jack, giving Peggy some of the same attention. I nudged her back, and she gave me the same look.

"Well," Jack started. The clapping had died down by now and it was just us four in the conversation while the others stood around and watched. "Good morning Peggy, Tiffany." We nodded in greeting and I couldn't stop from blushing just a bit. "You're here bright and early, I assume that means you'll be staying at the SSR?" Jack asked Peggy.

I smiled, knowing that Peggy and I talked about this last night. "Haven't decided, actually. I just came to pick up my paycheck."

Jack just nodded, understanding Peggy well enough to have his answer, and looked to Daniel next to him. Daniel nodded and said, "Well, we'll keep the desk for you, just in case."

Peggy hummed in response while Jack turned back to us. "She'll be back," he said simply.

He then stepped forward and tried to pull me to the side for a second, but a large group of men walked in. The one in front shouted, "Which one of you fellas is Jack Thompson?"

Jack and I looked at each other in confusion, before he stepped forward. "That's me," he said, and walked over to the men.

The lead man who did the shouting took his hat off and reached out his hand. "Walt Cooper, United States Senate," he introduced. Jack accepted the handshake with a small nod of greeting as Mr. Cooper kept going. "I just wanted to come down here and personally commend you for the fine work you and your team did."

Peggy, Daniel, and I all shared a look as the Senator kept going. "An attack on Times Square could have been a calamity, and what I hear is that you saved thousands of lives." Jack turned his head to look back at us as we all waited for his reaction. Peggy gave him a small smile. The man kept going. "The city and the country owe you a great debt. We need more men like Jack Thompson fighting for freedom and security! You're all lucky that you work for him."

Jack nodded and mumbled, "Just did what needed to be done." The two men shook hands again and the Senator chuckled.

They then turned around and started walking towards us and the chief's office. "You play your cards right, son, and you could get a congressional honor out of this situation," the Senator said. Peggy and Daniel stepped aside and let the two pass. "The president wants to thank you himself."