| Chapter One |

"Jones!" an elderly man called out from his office. I pushed my blonde hair out from my eyes and moved my attention from the file in front of me to the man calling my name. He motioned for me to come into his office, and I obliged. The file was placed down onto my desk and I stood up from the chair. Smoothing out my skirt, I click-clacked over to his office.

I stepped inside and closed the door. "Yes, Chief Campbell?" I asked the man. He was now sitting at his desk, and motioned for me to sit in the seat across from him. "Have I done something wrong sir?" I asked, worried now for my job.

"No Agent Jones, you have done nothing wrong. Well, at least that's not the reason you're here. No in fact, you're here because of your excellence as an agent down here. In fact, Chief Dooley called and asked if any agents were willing or good enough to come up to the New York unit. My first thought was you Tiffany," Chief Campbell explained.

I sat there, mouth agape, for who knows how long. "A-are you sure you want me?" I asked him. When he nodded, I smiled widely and jumped up from the chair. My legs brought me over to Chief Campbell and I shook his hand. "Thank you so much for this opportunity Chief!"

"Please, you don't work for me anymore, so it's Frank," he said. I nodded and thanked him again, this time as Frank. "You're leaving tomorrow so you should clean out your desk of your things and get home to pack. It's been great, Agent Jones. You will have an interview with Chief Dooley a couple days after you land in New York."

My eyes watered slightly and I thanked Frank once more before leaving his office. I quickly gather up my desk accessories, mostly just pens/pencils, a notebook, and a picture, and was getting ready to head out when someone called out my name.

"Tiff! Where ya heading?" I turned around and smiled at my office friend Joseph. He saw my face and his turned to a sad expression. "Did ya get fired?" he asked softer this time.

"No silly!" I smiled and laughed at him. "I'm getting moved to the New York unit! Ch- Frank said he got a call for more agents up there and he thought of me first! Gosh, I bet George'll be so excited for me!"

Joseph gave me a hug and said, "I'm so happy for ya Tiff. Miami sure is gonna miss you. Hope you give New York hell!" When I pulled back, there was something absent in his expression but I payed no mind to it. I was going to New York!

~~

"Absolutely not."

I threw my hands up exasperated and groaned. "George come on! I've got two tickets for a plane up to New York and a huge job opportunity when we get there! This is the biggest opportunity of my life and I'm not passing it up." I placed my hands on my hips and sighed, moving a hand to pinch the bridge of my nose. "Please George. I don't want to lose you either."

George walked towards his coat and I expected him to just leave me there, but instead he pulled something out of the pocket. I couldn't see what it was, but there was no need for guessing when he dropped down onto a knee. George showed me the box and opened it to reveal a stunning diamond ring. My hands flew up to cover my mouth out of shock.

"Tiffany Jones, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want us to get married and have a life, and possibly for you to finally get a rest and retire from the SSR." My eyes watered again and I was about to say yes, but then, "Only if we stay here."

My hands dropped from my face. "Are you being serious?" I asked him. He didn't get up and laugh, or crack a smile, or show any signs that he was just pulling my leg. "George I...I can't give this up," I whispered, my voice wobbling as I spoke.

George sighed and turned his head to the side, and then turned back to me. He stood up and held out the ring. "It's me or New York." My mind hurt as well as my heart, but I knew my career meant so much more to me than anything else.