New Environment.

I stand in Jake's doorway with a sense of dread consuming me. I try to imagine living somewhere else beside the place I've called home for the past seventeen years. Change is difficult and scary to adjust to. I don't do well with change, despite how desperately I need it. The last major change in my life was my father's death, and it opened up a whole new level of pain for me. Jake walks into his house before dropping my bag to the floor. He turns to look at me with curiosity in his expression. "Are you okay?" Jake asks me. I glance around his grand house before mustering a weak smile.

"I don't know if this is a good idea. I can't move in with you, Jake. It's too much of a big ask," I say, feeling slightly embarrassed at my situation. I place my hands inside my jacket pocket before chewing on my bottom lip. Maybe I can find a shelter to go to instead? Or I could call my Grandpa? I figure Trevor would find me and drag me home if I went to stay with Pops. There has to be options for me other than burdening Jake and his family. Jake walks toward me before taking hold of my hand. He gently pulls me inside his house before closing the door behind us. The cold air is shut outside and I'm greeted with the warmth radiating from his home.

"I won't take no for an answer. I want you here so you're staying." His words cause flutters to fill my stomach. It's strange hearing words I've longed to hear come from somebody who was a stranger mere weeks ago. I can't believe how much he's done for me in such a short space of time. He restored my faith in humanity and gave me a reason to keep waking up in the morning. I surprise him by wrapping my arms around his neck in a tight embrace. His body is rigid before it softens and he returns my hug.

"Thank you, for everything. I don't know how I'll ever repay you," I whisper before pulling away. His blue eyes linger on mine before he pulls them off me. "It's what friends are for, Wentworth." Jake tells me. My heart sinks with disappointment, but I keep a smile plastered on my face. Friends. Is that all he wants to be? Does he not realise my heart forgets how to beat whenever he's around? There's a shift in the atmosphere between us and I notice his shoulders grow tense. He clears his throat before grabbing hold of my bag and heading for the stairs. "I'll show you to your room. Keep up, Muffin." Jake says in a teasing tone. I roll my eyes before following behind him – "Don't call me that," I scold him.

"We've been through this. I call you adorable pet names, and you find me incredibly annoying because of it. It's why we're friends," Jake grins at me. I fall in line beside him as we walk through the hallway. "Right, friends." I respond in false enthusiasm. I feel his eyes lingering on me and I wonder whether he can hear through the facade in my voice. If he does, he doesn't question it. He heads toward a bedroom at the end of the hallway before turning the handle. He swings the door open to reveal one of the tidiest bedrooms I've ever seen.

"This is my room," Jake tells me before walking inside. His room is decorated in a navy and white colour scheme. It consists of a double bed, a large wardrobe and a make-shift gym in the corner of it. A punching bag hangs from the ceiling, along with a shelf proudly displaying a set of boxing awards. I walk inside before inspecting his room. Who knew Jake Melvin is a neat freak? "You must be the cleanest eighteen year old boy I've ever met," I tell him, feeling impressed at his cleanliness. It isn't often you find someone who takes pride in their appearance and surroundings. Jake grins at me before leaning against his wall. "I'm eighteen which makes me a man. I'm not a boy." He corrects me. I grin back at him before doing a slow walk around his room.

"Where are the dangerous weapons? The knives? The guns? Your room is pretty relaxed for a gang member," I tease him. He lifts a brow at me, and his lips twitch up in amusement. "Rumours are called rumours for a reason, Wentworth. You shouldn't listen to them."

There's a knowing tone to his voice that makes me believe he isn't being entirely truthful with me, but I don't press the subject. I'm reading through his boxing sport awards when Jake makes a comment that causes my cheeks to flame with heat. "You're welcome to spend as much time here as you want," Jake tells me with a flirtatious tone to his voice. My head snaps over in his direction. He's watching me with a deep rooted sparkle in his eyes. Why does he flirt with me like that if he labels us as friends? Does he realise he's playing loose and fast with my heart? "That's not funny," I tell him with a stern look. He gestures at my cheeks with a knowing look in his eyes. "Is that why you're blushing?"