Falling.

I expect to wake up to the cold but I find myself immersed in heat. I pry my eyes open to find I'm sitting in Jake's passenger seat. There's a blanket draped over me and the seat warmer is turned all the way up. Jake is driving silently, but his eyes flicker over in my direction every few seconds. "Are you okay?" Jake asks me quietly. I nod my head before burying my face in the blanket. How did I spend the entire day ignoring the gnawing hunger in my stomach? Now that I'm out of the cold, I feel it consuming my entire body. I clutch my stomach before releasing a small groan in protest. My cheeks grow red with embarrassment.

"Are you hungry?" Jake asks me before cranking up the heating. Warm air blows out through his car vents and I breathe a sigh of relief before relaxing in my seat. "Yeah, starving," I tell him. He drives silently through the dark roads before turning into a fast food drive through. His wet t-shirt sticks to him from the rain and it shows off every muscle and definition on his body. I can't help admiring the view as he drives.

"What do you want to eat?" Jake asks me. I want to respond with you, but I decide against flirting with him when there's obvious tension between us. I clear my throat before glancing at the lit up menu board.

"I'll take a burger," I tell him. Jake pulls through before winding down his window. The girl in the customer service box takes one look at him before standing up straighter. Her eyes flash with interest and she plasters a flirtatious smile on her lips. "Hey, what can I get you?" The girl asks him in a soft purr. She leans closer to his car so he has a great view of down her shirt. Her eyes briefly flicker over to me before flashing with frustration. I guess she was hoping for him to be alone. I shoot a strained smile at her while ignoring the jealousy brewing inside me. Jake attracts attention everywhere he goes either from his devilishly handsome good looks or his dangerous reputation.

"Two burger combo meals with diet coke. I'll take a packet of ketchup too, please." Jake says in a firm tone. He seems oblivious to her not so subtle reaction to him. Jake taps his card against the payment reader before turning off his car. The girl shouts through his order before turning her attention to him. She twirls her blonde hair around her finger before scanning her eyes over his face.

"Would you like a napkin to dry off? You look wet," she asks in a suggestive tone. I roll my eyes in reaction to her. Is she seriously going to flirt with him when I'm sitting right here? "No, I'm good." Jake tells her with a friendly smile. I practically watch her swoon in response, and she reaches for his order before passing it through. Her hand purposely brushes against his, yet Jake remains oblivious to her obvious motives to flirt with him. I take my burger from him before shoving a handful of fries in my mouth. Food is a great comfort source.

Jake drives away and I can practically sense her disappointment from his lack of attention. He pulls into a parking spot before turning to look at me. He looks surprised to find me scowling at him. "What?" Jake asks me with confusion. I shove another handful of fries in my mouth before responding. "She was obviously flirting with you," I tell him before taking a swig of my drink. Realisation dawns in his eyes and his lips twitch up with amusement. "Are you jealous, Muffin?" Jake asks me. I roll my eyes before pushing aside my pride. "Maybe."

Jake's grin deepens. He steals a fry from my box before popping it into his mouth. His blue eyes connect with mine and he looks pleased at my confession. "I only have eyes for one lady in my life," Jake tells me. I know I'm supposed to be mad at him right now, but it's so hard to resist his charm. He slides a hand up my cheek and into my hair before tugging me forward. His lips work slowly as he kisses me and I find my jealousy melting within seconds. His fingers gently massage my hair and I release a soft sigh when he deepens the kiss.

He tastes like french fries, which is one of my favourite flavours on earth. When he pulls away, a deep blush spreads from my neck to my cheeks. I gently push against his chest to create distance between us.