Partners in Crime.

"I want to talk to you," Jake tells me. I sigh before dropping down in my bed. I pull the covers up to my chin before looking at him. "You're drunk. We should talk about this tomorrow," I say to him. Jake saunters toward me before falling on top of my bed. He turns to look at me with a softened look in his expression —

"I can't enjoy the party when I know you're mad at me," Jake says quietly. "I'm not mad at you. I'm angry at the situation. I'm angry that I have to deal with all of this." I hate feeling like a victim, but that's exactly how I've felt lately. I don't want to deal with an abusive step-father, or a crazy stalker. I want to live a quiet life, away from the drama and the pain.

"You don't have to do it alone," Jake responds before sliding his hand across the bed. He places it over mine before squeezing our hands together. I exhale a deep breath before looking at him with fresh tears in my eyes. I don't know what's wrong with me. I can't stop the tears even when I try. Jake gently tugs me toward him until I'm lying next to him. I wrap my arm around his torso before burying my face in his chest.

"I'm so tired, Jake." I whisper, feeling like I'm on the verge of a breakdown. Jake buries his hand in my hair before releasing a deep sigh. He holds me against him until the tears slow down. "I wish I could tell you your fight is over, but it's not. I feel like it's only just beginning, but you're going to get through this. I'm right by your side if you want me to be, Wentworth."

"I want that." I whisper, feeling like I don't deserve him. "We're partners in crime," Jake murmurs in my hair. I sniffle before pushing myself up to look at him. I know he's been drinking so I hope he remembers this conversation tomorrow. He smiles gently before reaching up to brush my dark hair out of my face. He tucks it behind my ear before wiping the tears staining my cheeks. His touch sends electric currents flowing through my body.

"Can we deal with things without Amil? I don't feel safe around him." Thinking about the crazed look in his eyes is enough for me to avoid him for the rest of my life. People like Amil walk around thinking their power gives them the right to do anything they want. I've dealt with it most of my life living with Trevor.

"Okay...if that's what you want." Jake tells me. His eyes flash with protest but he chooses to accept my wishes. I know he's trying to protect me, but I don't want to be involved with more danger if I can prevent it. Jake falls silent and he appears to be deep in thought. His brows knit together with frustration and his eyes grow cloudy with darkness. I know this look on him; something is bothering him. "Talk to me." I mutter quietly. Jake sits up before running a hand over his face. He looks like he's questioning his decision to open up to me, but decides to be vulnerable at the last second. "Why was Tobias in your room?" Jake asks quietly. I can sense the suspicion lining his voice.

"I told you earlier, we were hanging out. He doesn't enjoy parties, and I'm not in the mood to party. I figure he wanted someone to talk to," I shrug, acting like it's no big deal. Why is Jake so hung up on this? He can't expect me not to hang out with Tobias when I'm living under the same roof as him. "Is that all it is?" Jake asks me before searching my face. It's my turn to frown deeply. Is Jake jealous of my barely there relationship with Tobias?

"I wouldn't even call us friends. We live in the same house and we have nothing in common. As far as I know, he still hates me." My words provide him with little relief, and Jake exhales a deep breath before hanging his head in his hands. "Is there something you're not telling me about Tobias?" I question Jake. I've felt the tension bubbling between them every time they're in the same room together. As soon as his name is mentioned, Jake's shoulders grow tense and rigid. I see the scowl on his face whenever Tobias talks. I see the darkness clouding his eyes every time Tobias interacts with me. "Our relationship is complicated," Jake mutters, providing me with little information.