confessions (requested)

You tried to pretend you were asleep as Yeji pulled the covers back and laid down beside you.

There was a pang of disappointment deep in your heart when you were met with silence and the cool air continuing to hit your skin instead of her arms that you're sure are warm and secure, that you which he'd pull you into and never let go.

"I know you're awake." She suddenly said, to which you just sighed in response.

"Why do you care whether I'm awake or not? You barely say a word to me." You spoke, hoping that the obvious sadness you felt wasn't noticeable.

You stared down at your painted nails as she moved further away from you, marking yet another night of awkward tension between the both of you.

You'd think you'd be used to it by now. Because today marks three weeks since you both tied the knot and so far, your marriage was far from a happy one. You struggle to see eye to eye on a lot of things.

Deep down, you both understand the reasons why you're both struggling. Your marriage wasn't exactly something you were enthused about. At least, not for the first little while. Arranged marriages aren't always easy, are they?

But something's changed for you recently.

You don't want to admit it. You still haven't spoken the words out loud and you definitely haven't told Yeji.

But you know you're falling head over heels in love with her.

You know it because you enjoy the feeling of her laying beside you because you know you're not alone and the spacious bed isn't as cold without her there with you.

You wake up a few minutes earlier than she does so you can watch her sleep. You live to see her smile, although she doesn't smile all that much around you. But when she does, your heart melts.

You're not even a month into your marriage. There's still a lifetime of falling in love with her, even more, every day to go.

However, you know that you're alone on that. She doesn't seem to feel the same way about you. She's quiet and a little cold.

She doesn't open up to you the way people that marry usually do. She spends most of her days working and you're sure she's pulling extra hours so she won't have to come home to you as early.

You know she's not exactly over the moon about being in an arranged marriage, but you wonder if she feels worse because she's stuck in this arranged marriage with you.

You snapped out of your thoughts and tried to quiet your busy brain. You sighed and tossed and turned for a moment, which agitated Yeji.

"Can you stop?"

"Sorry. I can't get comfortable."

"Well I'm comfortable and I'd like to sleep sometime tonight. I had a bad day and you're not making it any better."

"Whatever." You scoffed and then let the awkward silence hit the air.

You knew she knew you were still wide awake as she laid sleepless next to you. You stared up at the ceiling while your mind continued to run.

You've had a lot of nights like this recently; where you just can't sleep and you stay up wondering what a future with a wife who despises you is going to be like.

"Yeji?"

"What?" She asked groggily.

"I can't sleep."

"Okay." She replied tiredly, her one-word answer only heightening your disappointment.

"Thanks for the help."