Chapter 4: Off to Wellston

Three Months Later

----------

The sky was clear, showing little to no clouds in the air. The wind picked up slowly, allowing for the leaves in the trees to fall. It was currently 2 o'clock in the afternoon. The sun's rays casted short shadows along the neighborhood that housed a crippled father with his God-tier son. Sadly, the latter has been gone for some time now, but today was the day he would return home.

Claire, Adrion, and William stood at the edge of the driveway, awaiting John's arrival. Since the day the duo was expelled, Adrion and Claire continued brainstorming on how they could release John early and find the true culprit who hospitalized their graduating class. However, they came up empty handed within a month and decided to just wait out his sentence. Was it easy for them? Of course not, but what else could they do?

Since then, Adrion threw himself into studying and reading, gathering as much knowledge as he could so he could update his best friend when he returned. He learned a lot through books, internet classrooms, and articles from other schools and their ways of using the hierarchy. He didn't find anything different from those articles that was different from his old school. Except for one, one he definitely will have to tell John about when he returned.

As for Claire, she didn't find much to do except thinking about John. Every little thing reminded her of him. Going to Groovy Boba didn't help because she always ordered the same thing he did. She tried other things, but they weren't the same. Even her braided pigtails reminded her of a time before all this even started.

"You know, I don't think I ever told you this, but I really like the way your hair looks, Claire" John said while playing with one of her braids.

She blushed at his comment, "R-Really? Well, I-I'm glad..."

Both smiled as they continued their research to help John master his ability.

Claire stared at her bathroom mirror as the memory replayed in her head. Some tears started falling from her face as she was reminded, yet again, that John wasn't here, with her, to compliment her hair again.

Slowly, Claire reached into her drawer and pulled out some scissors. She brought the blade close to one of her braids and cut it. She repeated this on the other side and soon, she had both of her braids in her hands. She placed the scissors down of the cabinet and fell to her knees. She brought the braids close to her chest and wailed in sadness, instantly regretting her decision. After she left the bathroom, she talked to her mother and was able to go to a nearby hairdresser to fix her ruined hair.

Now, Claire was here, with Adrion and William, waiting for John to return home. Her short locks flowing with the steady breeze as she noticed a bus stop in front of them.

"I think that's him!" Adrion exclaimed.

The trio walked up to the bus and stopped just a few feet from it. The doors opened, allowing a certain raven-haired boy to step off the bus. The kind bus driver waved at the trio and took off to his next destination. The group of low-tiers stared at the boy and knew something was wrong.

John stood in place for a long time, staring at the ground with cold, lifeless eyes. His breath was light and he paid no attention to the waiting group in front of him. He didn't even take notice to the changes a certain green haired girl went through while he was gone.

John finally started to move forward, dragging his feet along the ground. In the end, he didn't make it far, because a sudden, yet warm force embraced him. He looked down and gazed at Claire, who held on tightly to him, softly crying into his chest. Soon, he felt more people hug him as William and Adrion did the same as Claire.