chapter 01. nothing will change

-

-

"Hey Weasley," said Jimmy Lakewell, coming towards Ginny's desk, a file of papers in his hands, "New story for you." 

'Let me guess, "said Ginny, rolling her eyes, "'New Nylon stockings straight from America!'" 

"No" sighed Jimmy, placing the file under his arm, "' RAF base becomes operational' and you can actually talk about politics" he added, raising an eyebrow at her. 

Ginny let out a dramatic gasp, "Are they letting a young woman talk about things she has no idea about" 

"They are" 

"How scandalous" Ginny exclaimed playfully, "But in all seriousness, why am I doing it?" 

"It's the base your brother is stationed at," Jimmy explained, "RAF Tangmere" 

"Makes sense" said Ginny, "So am I to go there?" 

"Yeah, go there, take notes on the opening ceremony, ask a few questions and take a few photos." 

"Okay, when's it opening?" asked Ginny. 

"Tomorrow, and Crowther wants the article in Thursday's paper" 

"So, I need to go tomorrow." 

"Basically" said Jimmy, "Oh, and Crowther said to keep any mentions of tensions rising in Europe or an upcoming war out of the article. 

"Of course, he did," said Ginny sarcastically, she never understood people who tried to hide from the inevitable. Surely it was better to know and to be ready for the future than to live in a blissful oblivion only to be abruptly awoken when reality hit. 

"I'll catch the train tomorrow," said Ginny. 

"That's good, note down the amount and we'll pay it for you after," said Jimmy, already walking away. 

Ten minutes past in relative peace, Ginny was crossing out and correcting Maisie's work. The two of them had an agreement, they would always check each other's work, they found that it was easier to find mistakes when they weren't familiar with the article ahead of them. 

"Here" said Maisie, coming towards Ginny, papers in her hands, "Your article all nice and corrected" 

"Merci madam" said Ginny, handing Maisie her article the same time she was taking hers. 

"So, what was Lakewell talking to you about?" asked Maisie curiously. 

"The base my brother is at is becoming operational, Crowther wants an article on it" explained Ginny. 

Maisie's eyes widened in amusement, "Crowther wants an article on the tensions in Europe, that's new" 

"Oh no, he doesn't. He wants me to just write on the base, no mention of Europe. I'm on strict orders" said Ginny, rolling her eyes for a second time.