chapter 03. 'as long as you don't kill Collins'

"Ginny meet Collins, Collins this is Ginny"

"Hello, Ginny Weasley" said Ginny, reaching forward to offer 'Collins' her hand. A coy smile on her face – he was very handsome.

"Jack Collins" he said, taking her hand. He had a thick accent, she loved it.

"It's Air Force rules" said Harry, "Surnames only."

"You can call me Jack if you want" said the piolet, his blue eyes catching on the sun – they were beautiful.

"It's nice to meet you Jack" she said.

"Nice to meet you too miss" 

"So when does this bloody thing - " started Ginny before she was cut off.

"GINNY" said Ron, hurtling towards her.

Ginny giggled, as he spun her around in circles, "Oh I missed you" she whispered into his shoulder.

"I missed to you sis" said Ron, placing her down.

"What are you doing here, oh you're reporting on it" said Harry.

"Yeah" said Ginny, and two other men joined them.

"Hi, you must be Ron's little sister – the one who shaved of his hair. Let me just tell you that I think you're awesome – and incredible" said one of them, the younger one, "I'm Pearce, Arlo Pearce"

"Nice to meet you Arlo – I'm Ginny" 

"I'm Farrier" said the other one, not offering her a first name.

Ginny gave him a nod of acknowledgement, "So after this would you give me a tour?" she asked, her eyes on Jack, and then gave him a teasing wink.

The poor guy went red, it was actually very endearing. But she could feel a glare coming from Farrier – what the hell was that about?

"She's just taking the mick" said Harry, as Jack started sputtering, "Course we'll give you a tour Gin, as long as you don't kill Collins here"

"Of course, I'm very very sorry" she said, not sounding very sorry.

-

"So with this new air base, everyone of these men will help to sustain the glory of Britain and her Empire" Group Captain Mason said, the speech having obviously practised multiple times.

"Now please stand for the National Anthem"

And the iconic first notes of 'God Save the King' played.

God save our gracious king!
Long live our noble king!
God save the king!
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the king!

Jack's eyes found a pair of brown eyes, they were Ginny's. She had a cheeky look in her eyes. And then - for the second time - she winked at him. And again - his cheeks went red. Farrier nudged him harshly, glaring at him, and then proceeding to glare at Ginny - who raised a ginger eyebrow at him challengingly.

Thy choicest gifts in store
On him be pleased to pour;
Long may he reign!
May he defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the king!

"So can I have a quote, 'piolets'?" asked Ginny teasingly, once they'd all gathered up after the ceremony.

"Why'd you say piolets like that?" asked Weasley, ruffling Ginny's hair.

"Stop it" she whined, brushing his hand away, "Arlo, Farrier?"

"I've got something to do" said Farrier moodily.

"And miss our grand tour" said Potter, looking slightly concerned.

"I'm good, thanks" Farrier turned away and went back inside, a air of glumness around him.

"What's his problem with me?" asked Ginny, looking at them all.

"Nothing" Collins said.

"That's a lie and you know it" said Ginny, "I've annoyed him somehow - and I have no clue what I've done"

"That's Farrier for you - moody and surly" laughed Pearce, instantly lightening the mood.

"Understatement" said Weasley.

"Come on Ginny, we'll show you around" said Potter.

"Good, good. But first things first - I've brought cake"