chapter 1: (un)happy accidents

[ cw: brief mentions of unconsented nudes ]

Vienna Schmitt waited in anticipation as the old lady in front of her scribbled on the green piece of paper. She had no emotion on her face and Vienna only worried more from this. The lady pushed up her round glasses and pursed her lipsticked lips. Vienna fidgeted with the ring on her middle finger and was chewing on her bottom lip so hard that she could have split it in half.

The lady finally set her pen down and handed Vienna the paper. Vienna's eyes scanned over all of the writing and notes until she saw the word "PASS" at the bottom.

"Congratulations. You passed." The lady spoke in an unenthusiastic tone but Vienna was feeling the exact opposite.

Relief flooded over her and she almost gave the lady a hug but decided on a quick, "Thank you." Vienna wasn't a bad driver but she was still nervous about failing her drivers test.

The lady gave her further information about what she needed to do and how long she'd have to wait for her license to come in the mail but Vienna was overtaken by joy and barely paid attention to what she said. Then in no time she was driving home with her mother.

"Enna, your father and I have a huge surprise for you when we get home!" her mother, Gail, cheered.

"Well why would you tell me that? Now it's not a surprise!" Vienna joked.

"I'm sorry I'm just super excited!" Gail was practically jumping out of her seat. She was usually always this bubbly and way too positive for Vienna's liking.

Vienna saw her house in the distance and there was a shiny silver car sitting on the driveway. She let out a loud gasp and started to speed up.

"Slow down, Enna!" her mother warned.

Vienna obeyed as a large FedEx truck turned in front of her and once the truck was past her lane she sped to turn into her street until she locked eyes with her favorite person, Adam Banks. Her foot stamped on the brakes but it was too late. The two cars had crashed, the corner of her car ramming into the front of Adam's.

"VIENNA SCHMITT!" Gail yelled and whipped open the door to talk to Adam.

Vienna and Adam glared at one another as he clenched his jaw and turned off his engine. They hadn't really talked in a while seeing as the school year had just started again and she didn't hangout with him outside of school, so this was an unpleasant way to reunite. Adam was the first to break their staredown as he got out of his sleek black BMW and greeted her mother with a charming smile.

What a prick.

The two began to converse and Vienna groaned in annoyance as she turned off the car and hopped out. The front of Adam's car was smashed but it wasn't the worst Vienna had seen before. Their car looked much better, however, and only had a dent.

"I am so sorry, Adam. We were just super excited about her new car and after the truck passed she didn't wait—it was all an accident and Vienna is really sorry," her mother was desperately apologizing.

"Don't worry about it Mrs. Schmitt. I totally understand," he spoke in a sweet voice that made Vienna want to hurl. He knew how to charm adults and was successfully manipulating her mother.