chapter 5: the banks

Vienna dragged her feet across the street to Adam's house. She saw it everyday but today it looked extra vomit worthy. It was probably double the size of her house and if you looked at a picture of each of them, you would never guess that they belonged to the same neighborhood, let alone be right across the street from each other.

Especially after what happened at their game, Vienna was not excited to go to his house. She didn't know if Adam's parents were at his game so she didn't know if they saw her push their son to the ground and she didn't even know if Adam was upset about it. Plus, she had also ran into his car earlier in the week so Vienna had many things to be worried about.

She almost turned back around once she was at their doorstep but then heard barking come from inside and she knew she was caught now. Before she could do anything stupid, she pressed the doorbell.

It took a couple of seconds but the door opened and Adam's mom appeared. She looked happy to see Vienna which was a bit of a relief. She probably wasn't at the game last night.

"Vienna! I haven't seen you in so long. Come on in!" she greeted as Vienna stepped into their grand home. A large Saint Bernard and a teeny Maltese came running around the corner. "Lucy! Maxwell! Downstairs now!" Mrs. Banks yelled and the two dogs gave a quick sniff to Vienna then ran to the basement. "Sorry about that—Adam should be upstairs in his room. If you need anything, I'll be down here!"

"Thanks, Mrs. Banks," Vienna chimed.

"Feel free to call me Lisa, sweetheart," she winked at Vienna and disappeared into the kitchen.

Vienna took a deep breath as she took in the sight of their home. Almost everything was white and the front stairs were curved with dark brown wooding. She slowly walked up the steps and could already see a sitting area with a TV and a ping pong table along with many, many doors down a hallway. Vienna didn't even have to go looking for Adam's room because on his door was a poster of his hockey pictures from the year before.

She hesitated before knocking but the impulsive side in her came out and her fist hit the door. "It's Vienna," she announced.

"You can come in," he shouted. He sounded far away and when Vienna pushed open the door, she understood why. Adam's room was huge. It was practically the size of half her house. He had a TV, a foosball table and even a wooded part with a hockey net in the corner along with his own bathroom. Adam was sitting in the far corner on a huge bean bag chair playing on his Nintendo.

"This is your room?" she scoffed and continued to look around. Of course, there was a corner with all of his hockey trophies and medals.

Adam didn't take his eyes off of his games as he chuckled, "Yeah, never seen one before?"

"This isn't a bedroom, this is a whole fucking house—you have a mini fridge for crying out loud!" Vienna cried out in utter disbelief.

Vienna assumed that Adam died in whatever game he was playing because he cursed under his breath then set his game down.

"So, did you bring the stuff?" he asked.

She gave him a questioning look. "What stuff?"

"You were supposed to bring the stuff for our project," he replied as if she were stupid.

"We never said that."

"Yes we did."

"No we didn't—"

"Well great, now I'm gonna fail!"

They began to argue over one another.

"We never even talked about who was bringing the stuff, you're the one who insisted we go to your house so I assumed you had the stuff."