Chapter eight

"Hello Marisa"

Marisa stood still in shock, she didn't need to turn around to see who it was as she knew by the voice.

"Hello Asriel"

Still standing with her back to Asriel, Marisa is drastically looking for Lyra. Finally she finds her young child and gestures her to come over. Lyra listens and starts walking towards her mother.

"What do you want Asriel? I thought you were still up north"

Asriel noticed the young child walking towards him and Marisa.

"Mummy, can we go now?"

Marisa looks down at Lyra and cups her face with both hands.

"Of course my love, lets go"

As Marisa was turning to leave, Asriel grabs Marisa by the arm.

"Is this our child? Is this Lyra?"

Marisa looks down at Lyra and grins then covers her ears and whispers.

"Yes Asriel it's Lyra. No you can't have her"

Marisa grabs Lyra's hand and walks out of the Arctic Institute. While walking back home Marisa kept looking behind them a few times to see if they were followed. Once they got back to the flat Marisa once again felt safe.

Lyra didn't say anything about the man who spoke to her mother, but deep down she really wanted to know who he was. She knew not to ask questions that could possibly upset her mother.

It was dinner time and Lyra was trying to gain the courage to ask her mother the question she's been thinking off all day.

"That man......"

Marisa looks up and drops her fork on the the table.

"You don't need to worry about him, he was someone who I use to work with"

"But why did he keep staring at me? We even have the same eyes......... was that my dad?"

Marisa was getting angry and wanted this conversation to end.

"Lyra, drop it. Your father wasn't a good man and he won't be in your life. If you keep asking me these silly questions about a man who never wanted you, it won't end well for you"

"So it was him, why didn't you say anything. I want to meet him"

"Lyra dear that won't happen"

"Why not? I want to meet him"

"Just drop it Lyra. You are starting an argument that I will win. If you are finished eating please get ready for your bath"

Lyra walks off the terrace, through the lounge room and then to her room.

SLAM

Marisa puts her hands on her head and felt her dæmon put his hand on her leg.

"What are we gonna do? I can't spend the next fifteen years keeping him from her, but I also don't want to lose her"

The golden monkey jumps up onto his humans lap and puts his arms out, Marisa accepts the loving gesture and then gets up.

Marisa thought it would be wise to give her child some space, so she sat in her office. Knowing she needed to catch up on some work for the Oblation Board, just staring at the paperwork that needed to be signed and filled out. Out of nowhere Marisa started to stared at pictures of her and Lyra on her desk.

Marisa lets out a big sigh and places her finger on the photo of her and Lyra that was only taken months ago.

"I think it's been enough time, we better go check on her"

Marisa and her golden monkey get up and walk out of the office. Taking little strides down the hall, they eventually both get to Lyra's bedroom door.

Marisa knocks softly

"Lyra?...... Lyra darling can I come in?

Marisa waits for an answer. When she doesn't get one she panics.

"LYRA!......... OPEN THE DOOR NOW!"

Marisa reaches for the handle and thinking it would be locked, it was actually unlocked. The door swings open, the golden monkey goes in first to investigate and goes straight to the open window. Marisa's nightmare is slowly starting to come to life.

Marisa runs to the open window and screams out for her child and nothing. With quick thinking she runs straight to the elevator and went straight down to the ground floor to see if she could see Lyra outside. With no sign of Lyra, Marisa goes back to her flat and calls for a search.