Serendipity

Serendipity

The action of making happy discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of something not initially in quest of.

-Urban Dictionary

~~~

Bin and Yejin have a few days off after a long week of filming. They decided to spend time with each other. As Bin drove the car on the way home, they finalized what they would be doing.

"Let's have a movie night," Bin suggested.

"Oh yes yes. It's my turn to pick a movie!" Yejin quickly agreed to what he suggested.

Bin realized that it might be a wrong suggestion since Yejin usually chooses a tear-jerker movie, "Aish. I forgot about that," He mumbled.

Yejin heard him and gave him a deathly gaze. And that gaze made his eyes switch back on the road, so focused that he was so scared to even look at his girlfriend.

As they reached Hyun Bin's apartment, Yejin went straight to the bathroom to take a shower while Bin went to the kitchen to grab some snacks.

When Yejin stepped out of the bathroom, she found Bin holding two bags of chips and obviously didn't know what to pick.

Yejin asked, "Are you alright?"

Holding the bags of chips, he looked at his girlfriend and asked, "What flavor do you like? White Cheddar or Caramel & Cheddar?"

"I'll go with White Cheddar," she answered.

"How about drinks?"

"What do you have?"

Bin opened his refrigerator. "Hmm, I only have soda and beer in here."

"Beer," Yejin answered instantly.

"Jinja? Are you sure? Did you already had your dinner"

"Of course. And we're having our days off, remember? So it's completely okay."

As they settled themselves on the couch, Yejin started to browse the Netflix movies available, "Uhm this seems nice. Have you watched this?" She asked as the screen displayed a movie poster showing two people who looked like teenagers, lying on the ground and facing each other upside down.

"What's the title?" Bin asked, who is busy making sure the pillows are properly settled around them to make sure both of them are comfortable.

"The Fault in our Stars." (a/n: if you haven't watched the movie, spoiler alert at the latter part of the story :) )

Bin quickly looked at his girlfriend then to the screen, "I heard it's an adaptation from book to movie. It's a drama one, I think." Bin was lowkey persuading Yejin to pick a different movie.

"Let's watch this then." Yejin clicked the play button.

Bin shut his eyes as Yejin leaned her head on his shoulders. He was worried about Yejin picking this kind of movie. Why? A drama/tearjerker movie plus beer? Yup, not a good combination.

Both of them were focused on watching the movie. They were unaware of different positions they have done while watching the movie- Yejin's head on Bin's lap, her legs on his lap, lie down on one side with his arms around her waist, her hugging his arms, etc.

As the movie ended and the credits were shown on screen, "Wow that was sad. What a twist." Bin said while blinking his eyes, slightly taken aback by the movie's surprise.

He didn't hear any words coming out from Yejin's mouth. Instead, he heard sniffs from her. He turned his head to look at her. He was right. Emotions took over Yejin plus the effect of beer adds up to it. She was crying like a baby and he found it cute.

She finally spoke, "What was the need? Why did he die?" And she sobbed more. "It should've been a happy ending. But..."

"Sshh sshh. There there." Bin rubbed his palm on Yejin's back to console her as she was still crying over the movie.

Bin stood up and went to the kitchen. As he came back, he had a glass of water in his hand and offered it to Yejin, "Here. You should drink." Yejin, who was still weeping, took the glass from Bin's hand and drank it.

"Now, breathe with me. Inhale... exhale..." Bin helps Yejin to calm down.

There were still tears on Yejin's cheeks and Bin noticed it. He leaned forward and kissed away her tears. He kissed the right side then to the left and finally ended on her lips. Yejin obviously isn't sober. She didn't even flinch.

"C'mon, let's go to sleep. It's getting late. Let's take a rest now, okay?"

"Mm," Yejin said, who was blankly staring at him and still not recovering from the movie, nodded.

He led her to the bed and tucked her in the blanket. He made sure she has enough pillows so she'll sleep comfortably. He was about to close the light when he took a final look at Yejin to assure if she's okay. But as he checks on her, she was already in dreamland.

Bin smiled at the sight and gently leaned on her and kissed her on the forehead, "Goodnight, love."