7 - Booted

DUPED - 7

❥7. Booted

The dream I had the previous night seemed to knock some sense into my head. While Aunt Jessie was happily working outside the garden, I began telling Asher the whole story about my dream-or at least some of it, because as soon as I woke up it all started to fade in seconds.

"So yeah, it wasn't two, four, six, eight, who do we appreciate," I rolled my eyes, pretending to shake a pair of invisible pom poms in the air. "It was more like two, four, six, eight, who do we annihilate. And that just pissed me off right there because the cheer captain was my cousin Eden, and so I asked myself, what the heck is Eden doing in my dream?"

Asher just sat there, bored out of his mind. I rambled on for a few more minutes until finally, he held both of his palms up in surrender, snickering like he couldn't hold the laughter anymore. I frowned, saddened by the fact that he thinks this is funny. The thing is, this wasn't a laughing matter. My dream was trying to tell me something.

"What's so funny?" I crossed my arms, demanding an answer. "It's not really a funny dream and you're sitting there like you're watching comedy central."

"I'm sorry, okay," he shook his head. "We have dreams all the time, and dreams are usually the result of the food we eat."

"Wait, what?"

"Next time, eat a Peanut butter and jelly sandwich before you sleep."

"Why?" My nose scrunched up in disgust since I'm not much of a fan of Peanut butter. Muddy buddies, however, was an exception.

"Because your brain needs a lot of sugar. I mean, I know it's bad, but some say it's good for sleep," I knew he would lecture me on this. That's one of the things I loved about Asher. He just never gets tired teaching people what he knew. He loved exchanging his views and opinions on certain things. "It would probably give you good dreams. It also gives you extra serotonin-the "calming" hormone-or whatever you call it."

"Okay," I nodded, sounding I was really convinced. "PB and J sandwich before bed, got it."

"Hey, kids, good morning." Aunt Jess entered the kitchen door, with her pink pin striped button down shirt, all stained with mud.

"Morning." We both said at the same time and continued eating our heart shaped swedish pancakes. Aunt Jess made a stack of them and they were just delicious. The table was set up for two, a jam of lingonberry and bowls of blueberries and sliced bananas were placed in the middle.

"Would it be okay?" She asked, taking her light blue rubber gloves off by the sink. We both looked over our shoulder. "If I take a quick run down town to get some bug spray? Damn beetle larvaes are all over my front lawn."

"Ew," I whispered. "Beetle larvaes?"

"Yeah," she wiped her brow with her arm. "No wonder my grass keeps dying."

Asher grinned and pushed his empty plate away from him. "Um, how about if we run to town instead?"

We? He knows well how I hate going to Lowes or Home Depot. I hate gardening and I hate shopping for gardening stuff, period.

"That would be a great idea," her face brightened at his suggestion. She walked over to one of the drawers and pulled something out. "You guys can take the Camry."

Wait. The Camry? That old clunker hunkajunk that's sitting outside? No. Heck no.

"He still works like a charm." She happily jangled the keys in front of us like it was Candy.

❤️❤️❤️

We ended up at Walmart because Lowes nor Home Depot had the brand Aunt Jess wanted. After spending twenty minutes at the garden shop, we stood in the long line for another ten minutes.