3 - The Birds And The Bees

❥3. The birds and the bees

   Temecula is only an hour away and Mom agreed that I can stay with my aunt Jessie at her three bedroom house for about a few days. I did inform her that Asher was coming with me, and knowing Mom, I know she was pretty delighted to find out that Asher and I made up, but she said while we’re going to work things out, sleeping together is definitely not part of the list. She even called Aunt Jessie to make sure we do sleep in two different rooms.

   "I know you're a teenager, Bryce. You're growing up so fast. You guys have these raging hormones, so when worse comes to worst," she paused, lifting one index finger up in the air, a nasty grin pinned on her face. She grabbed a banana from the fruit basket that was placed in the middle of the granite island. Her other hand slid open a drawer, pulling a silver square shaped pouch. 

   "Oh no," I groaned, slapping a hand over my forehead. "Mom, what are you doing?"

   "What do you think I'm doing?" She barked, sliding the rubber thing over the banana. "I'm teaching you the right way to protect yourself."

   "Really?" My stomach churned at the sight. It was almost like food porn. I remember how Dad always attempted to talk about the birds and the bees but always failed at some point because I usually walked away before he could even start talking.

   Mom was never really shy to talk about personal things because she said it was part of growing up and if I ever wanted to learn, it was best if it came from her. Whether it was about smoking or drinking alcohol, she was ready for it. I guess mom is just a bit protective when it came to things like sex.

   "You know how guys are horny bastards, and they all want one thing from you and I'm not taking a risk—”

   "Mom, chill," I said, looking away from the condom clad banana. It's disgusting but at the same time really funny knowing how moms teach their kids protection nowadays. "I'm not going to have sex, okay. Besides, I'm not the one you should be lecturing about sex." 

   "Nonsense," she turned back to the banana with a frown, "Just because you don't have a weiner doesn't mean you don't need to know about these things."

   "Like I said, I'm not having sex, mom. Can we just drop this? I promise, we're only going there as friends. Plus, it'll only be a few days."

   "A lot can happen in a few days, young lady. Look, I love Asher very much and I trust you but temptation always lurks around and I'm sorry but I'm not ready for him to become your baby daddy." 

   "B—baby daddy?" I stifled a laugh, shaking my head in disbelief. "Mom, you've been watching way too much Maury on TV."

   "Stop trying to change the subject, sweetie. I just want to make sure you make the right choices in life," she lifted both her arms and her head started bobbing slowly from left to right. "Do you want to graduate high school, finish college, land a good job or do you want to get knocked up, not graduate and be a stay home mommy? You pick.”