THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK

She was the girl with the mask, see everyone thought she was happy, everyone thought she was ok but behind that mask, she was broken, she was falling apart piece by piece. It was like I was watching her, watching me, from outside myself, I watched myself fall apart and slowly fall into a bottomless void.

Grief does that to a person, well to her, well to me, it's different for everyone I guess, but it tears you apart. I've lost people before, grandmas and grandpas, but this just seemed to dig deeper. This person changed her life in ways that she couldn't explain and now she was gone. I watched her helplessly go through all the stages of losing someone, the denial, the endless nights of crying, and the days where she was just numb.

I felt powerless, watching myself crumble, itwas like watching the snow melt after a white winter. There was nothing anyonecould do. I was so distant from myself that it made it impossible for anyone toget close, despite how hard they tried. My friends tried to pull me out of thishole, they saw past the mask, but every time they did, I just fell further andfurther because I had to lie to their faces. I told them that what they haddone really made a difference, that what they did helped, but it didn't. Istill felt like shit. I still had to wear a mask every day. And I still had totry and make everyone believe that I was fine.