PROLOGUE

The sound of the rain hitting the glass window was the only sound echoing through the Gilbert Household

The sound of the rain hitting the glass window was the only sound echoing through the Gilbert Household. The silence was broken by the scream of the eldest Gibert sibling. Miranda and Grayson Gilbert ran to their seven-year old's daughters' room, distraught by the powerful scream. They quickly opened the door to the room, but they stood still at the sight in front of them. Their little girl was sitting on her bed looking and her hands, which were glowing brightly. With teary eyes and trampling lips, she turned to look at her parents. "Mommy? Daddy? What's happening to me?" the poor girl asked horrified. Her parents wanted to help her but they were frozen in place.

After a few seconds Miranda came to her senses and carefully walked closer to her daughter "Baby I need you to calm down and everything will be okay" she said to her softly. The 7-year-old closed her eyes and tries to regulate her breath.

 "That's it honey you are doing great" She encouraged her as she carefully put a hand on her shoulder. Slowly the glow died down and the little redhead threw herself into her mother's arms sobbing, that hugged her back just as tight. Miranda looked back at her husband with worry clear in her eyes.

 "What's happening to our little girl Grayson," she asks her husband, not waiting for an answer but for support.

"Stay here with the kids. I'll take her to Sheila." The man said and took his daughter from her mother's arms. In his hurry, he didn't even change. He just put a coat over his nightclothes and his shoes and he made his way to the Bennett house.

"Sheila! Sheila! Open up It's urgent." Grayson shouted banging on the door, still holding an almost asleep Melody in his arms. A confused and sleepy Sheila Bennett opens the door and her eyes open wide in surprise.

 "What are you doing here this late, Grayson? What happened?" She asks opening the door wider. 

"Something is wrong with Melody," He said with a panicked voice. The older witch turned her gaze to the little witch who was by now sleeping in her father's shoulder, tired by the crying and panic. As soon as she took a closer look at Melody she gasps.

"Come in quickly" She says in a hurry giving him a sign to come in. He walks through the door and carefully sets Melody on the couch and turns to the older witch.

"What is wrong with her Sheila?" he asks worried about the well being of his eldest daughter 

"Your daughter is a witch, a powerful and special kind of witch" the old woman answers.

"My daughter a witch? How is that possible we don't have witches in our bloodline" he hurries to state.

 "Melody is what in our community call a core witch. She doesn't have to be from a witch bloodline. She was gifted with the gift of witchcraft by magic herself, and that gives her a great connection with the craft. Your daughter is very special." Sheila explains. Grayson was lost for words. He couldn't believe that his child, his eldest was a witch. He didn't know what to do.

 "I know, that this is something you weren't expecting but she needs help to control her magic. She is far too powerful for me to conceal her powers. I can train her and help her. She has so much potential to go to waste" Sheila says trying to make him understand at the best of her ability.

 "There is one thing I need to ask. Does she have a black line around the wrist?" She added and he looked at her confused. 

"Yeah 2 actually, how do you know about that? what are they?" He asked trying to make sense in an even weirder situation. 

"They are called soul marks. Very rare even in the supernatural world. The fact she has 2 is a bit concerning but a blessing non the less". 

"What does it mean?" Grayson asks again.

 "Each Line stands for a soulmate. When she meets them, they will change to her soulmate's name". He just nodded and look at his little girl. He would do anything to help her and even though he couldn't fully grasp the concept of soulmates and soul marks, he thought that they will handle one matter at a time. Besides she was still 7, she has enough time to worry about it. 

"Thank you, Sheila, it means a lot," He says and picks Melody up. 

"Bring her over every weekend." The old witch says.

 "Okay, goodnight Sheila," he says "goodnight"

Miranda was anxiously pacing back and forth in the living room. She was worried about her daughter's wellbeing. As part of the gilbert family, she was familiar with the supernatural, but she has never seen it in person. The only witch in town is the Bennett woman, they haven't been vampires in Mystic falls since 1864 and they didn't know anything about werewolves. Her daughter being a supernatural has never even crossed her mind as a possibility. Suddenly the door opens and Grayson walks in with a sleeping Melody in his arms 

"What happened? What did she tell you?" The woman asked anxiously. "Let me put her to bed, she had a hard night. I'll explain later" He said softly to his wife and went straight to his daughter's room, carefully placing her on the bed and tucking her in. He made his way out of the room and look at the little girl one last time before closing the door.

That night the Gilbert parents didn't sleep. They went over again and again what the elder witch had told Grayson. It was a lot to take in but they had to stay strong for their child. What the parents couldn't understand is just how special Melody Gilbert truly was.