Seaside

After getting back from their adventures in Shintaro, the ninja had earned quite a bit of time off from training. There wasn't much crime either, just things that the police department could handle themselves, so that left the ninja with multiple days off a week. Today was one of those days. 

Kai and Cole decided to go shopping in the city. They'd seen some clothes on sale a few weeks before and really wanted to buy them before the sale ended later that evening. Zane, Pixal and Lloyd decided to go to the cinema to watch a new action movie that had recently come out. 

That just left Jay and Nya. Neither of them got to spend much time together so this was the perfect opportunity to do things they'd always wanted to do. Last night, they had discussed what they were going to do and the water ninja had brought up going to the seaside. She'd never been since she hadn't had much time to when she was little, or even now for that matter, so Jay obviously agreed. The lightning ninja loved the beach. His parents had taken him so many times when he was living with them. He enjoyed everything about it; the ocean, ice creams, sandcastles. The seaside is where he could finally let his childish self be free. 

They set off early in the morning as one of the best seaside towns in Ninjago was a few hours away and they were only planning on staying for the day. They took multiple things with them: Buckets and spades, a beach ball, towels, a picnic for lunch, and any other necessities you'd need on a beach trip. 

However, the only vehicles they had were super cool ones they'd use in battle, which wasn't exactly ideal for journeys like these so they managed to rent a car that would help with their trip back and forth, nothing too fancy.

As soon as they got there, Jay had practically dragged his yang through the crowds and towards the beach, unable to control his excitement. Nya, on the other hand, was enjoying every moment of it. She loved seeing him so happy, especially out of the Monastery. Besides, she loved going to new places and trying out new things. 

Nya didn't plan on playing around like Jay did though. She brought a few activities that she could sit and do whilst Jay did... whatever he wanted to do. This included books she could read, things she could colour in, etc. Just some random interesting/fun stuff. Jay couldn't understand why she'd bring those things because she could literally do them whenever she wanted to at home but didn't dare question her. Besides, this was her first time at the seaside, right? 

It wasn't as busy as they thought it would be. The heat was pretty much bearable and the sand was warm between their toes. Fortunately, Nya was enjoying it so far. It was so much better than Jay had described. The water elemental followed behind her boyfriend as he searched for a perfect place for them to set up for the day. After a little while of walking, Jay stopped, took in a breath of fresh sea air and dropped the bags down gently on the sand. Nya stopped too, raising an eyebrow at him.

"This is it," He muttered, smiling, "This is the perfect spot."

"Great," Nya sighed happily, finally able to drop the heavy bags she was carrying. Why Jay couldn't have parked along the seafront was beyond her.

Nya began to lay out the towels for them to sit on. Jay took in yet another breath of fresh air, earning another puzzling look from his partner before exiting his trance and sitting down beside her. He glanced at her, smiling. She stared out at the ocean and the multiple children playing around in it. They looked as if they were having so much fun. If only she and Kai had been brought here when they were younger. 

"I love the beach," Jay stated happily.

"I know," Nya briefly glanced at him, "It's all you spoke about in the car on the way."

"Oh," He giggled nervously, "It's just so fun."

They chatted for a while, getting used to the heat, until Jay grabbed his bucket and spade and began making sand castles. It took him a while to get used to it again. Nya watched for a few minutes before she took out her book and started reading, leaving him to his own antics. Not long had passed when Jay attempted to catch her attention.