Our Last Hope

Its been a hundred years since everything was covered in white snow. The color might have been beautiful every Christmas before the White Witch. The way the white glistened on the ground and crunched beneath you feet — or hooves —, or the sun reflected against the crystals left on the trees. Father Christmas hasn't been seen since the last Christmas in Narnia.

The last time Aslan has ever been seen was fifty years ago, when He saved me from terrible faith and being succumbed into an icicle. He talks to me through my dreams on most nights but lately all has been quiet. I used to joke to Him about how much I wish to just have a normal dream for once... but now that it is here, I don't think that I like it as much as I would have. It leaves an uneasiness in me. Like something is about to happen and no matter what, I won't like it.

I cursed as I stumbled down the steep hill. I wanted to curse at Aslan, too, for taking my stealth and balance away but He hears and knows all. My knuckled turned white, gripping my clock tighter together to block the cold. The snow was falling again and the night wasn't making it any better.

"Oh, how I wish I had my powers right now." I thought.

The snow made it difficult to walk in — let alone run —, it is dangerous to go out in Narnia at night, but Badger sent out a call and I had to go detect what it was. You can't leave a wounded friend behind to die.

I tripped over a branch and fell face first into the snow. I groaned in frustration at the dress that caused me to topple over before getting up and running forward again. Making sure to grab a fist-full of the dress so I won't fall this time.

It wasn't till much further down where I saw four wolves surrounding Rupert, a fox that I had sent before me in case I didn't make it in time. Which is a rare occurrence for me to be late but this snow was proving to be a challenge tonight.

I pulled my hood forward making sure my face was hidden from view, glaring at the wolves who are followers of Jadis, watching with cautious eyes as they spoke. Not caring about the consequences I curse at Aslan for taking away my lack of hearing like an eagle. Since now I am stuck with hearing like a puny human.

I didn't need to know that danger was coming — it being an old friend — I cocked my golden bow pulling back the golden string that was pulled from Aslan's very mane. A glowing golden arrow — illuminating my face  —appeared out of the magic in the air, making sure that it would never miss its target. I lurked in the shadows behind a tree waiting for the perfect time to strike.

Rupert yelped in pain as a wolf attacked him in the side and I knew I couldn't wait any longer. His cry making me grit my teeth in anger.

"Let him go!" I shouted, the arrow still cocked and targeted at the wolf. Which one? I don't care but one of them is getting an arrow pierced into their side.

"Ahh," Maugrim — I recognize — taunted, "If it isn't the Shadow of Narnia. The Shadow? Is that what they call you?"

Even though they couldn't see my face it remained blank.

"I said; Let. Him. Go." I told him in a calm voice that could send a chill down the fiercest of Narnia warriors. "I won't ask again."

"We both know you won't do it." And without another word, I let the arrow fly. I smirked in triumph when it pierced Maugrim's hind leg. He growled in pain, throwing a glare my way.

"I guess you were wrong."

I pulled back the string for another arrow to appear. Knowing that he wouldn't be able to fight with a wounded leg, Maugrim gestured the other wolves to leave and the one who had Rupert in his mouth, dropped him harshly onto the ground running after his pack.