What is Love?

Its been a week since the battle with the White Witch. A week since Aslan finished her forever. A week since Tumnus and I were reunited. A week since the kiss between Peter and I shared. A week since I have been avoiding him. A week of getting closer to Susan who I found seemed to be more interested in dresses and hair than in battle strategies and weapons.

Yes, its been a week. A very, VERY long week.

I had managed to avoid Peter until the day of the Kings and Queens coronation. Its not like I am embarrassed because I had kissed Peter but because I know the status and the role that it had played in. It had occurred to me the next day that he is to be King while I am to be their Royal Guard. And we can't do our part if a distraction is to be between us.

It also came across when the two Queens and I were speaking that I don't age. I am forever stuck at the age of eighteen while my wisdom and those around me age. While Peter ages and grows older. At such a revelation I quickly ask for their advice to what I should do. 

At the moment as I am getting ready for the Coronation I think past to that conversation.

——————————-

As Susan was brushing my tangled hair, Lucy and I talked about things that the older sister  would scoff or scold Lucy for ever thinking of such things. It confused me for we were only talking about how to wield the weapons correctly for battle. I wince as yet again Susan pulled a lock of my hair for which she apologized under her breath.

It got quiet between us. One the sound of the birds chirping outside the open window and the brush running through my light brown hair.

"Does it ever scare you to watch the people you love age away?" Susan suddenly asked me. "While you stay the same?"

The question caught me off guard for I wasn't prepared for her to ask such a thing. I shrug as I ponder over it.

"At times." I admit. "But people in Narnia tend to live very long before dying. Although," I sigh, "there are times I think about what would happen if I were to fall in love... and they had to grow old. Then, maybe I would ask Aslan to keep that part of me locked away so I could grow old with them." I clear my throat at the pitied look Susan threw my way when she stopped brushing my hair. "But that will never happen because I cannot get distracted over a petty thing."

"What?" Susan's eyes widen in disbelief. "Not fall in love? I cannot wait until the day I meet my Prince Charming."

Lucy put a finger in her mouth with her tongue sticking out as if she were pretending to choke. I smirked that little Lucy thought that 'love' was just as disgusting and useless as I did.

She turned to me with a giggle when she caught the amusing smile on my face.

"You say, that you wish you can age. But I say, I wish I could stay young forever." Lucy says with a smile. "Oh, to be a kid and never worry about growing up. There is a story in England about a boy who never grows up in a place called Neverland."

I was confused at what she was saying but I listened anyway. Annoyance grew over me as Susan interrupted poor Lucy in the middle of her story by getting back to the previous conversation.

"If you are so certain that you won't fall in love than why did you kiss Peter?"

I paused in my answer. Why? Because, I didn't have one. Why did I kiss King Peter? Maybe it was because I almost lost him to the Witch and I got caught up in the moment to even think twice. Or, maybe it was how he looked in his armor. For the few days that I have known Peter, the more I was slowly figuring out that I had been growing strange feelings towards him. I was — still am — annoyed that I don't know what it means or why I'm feeling such emotions.