Oneshot #23

"Colors."

———
Red is both Levi's favorite and least favorite color. It means so many things, fits two moods, and so Levi hates it and doesn't hate it.

One is anger, rage, hate. He sees that color when he and Erwin argue and fight, because every couple does, but it doesn't make Levi feel any better. They argue about finances and the future and whether or not to move closer to family or stay by friends. It makes them hurt, even if it doesn't end with the urge to cry, but it's hard for them to go through.

But then there's the other side of red.

This side is driven by touch, the need to get closer and worship a body so dearly that clothes need to be taken off to achieve it. Levi has experienced the fall after the first time, but meeting Erwin was like neon lights that never dim, never shut off, are constantly deep, heart wrenching red. It's the kind of feeling that makes both of their hearts soar, makes all the butterflies in their guts swirl awake. Erwin touches Levi's skin and wants nothing more than to drown in the intoxicating red sea that is Levi's entire being.

Red's pros outweigh the cons—by far—but while it's filled with lust and love, the anger pushes it away from Levi's favorite.

Orange is lower than red, just because the color is a reminder of actual heat and high temperature. But then again, it's still a middle ranking color because orange is a summer color.

Summer has a special place in Levi's heart. They met in the summer, celebrated every anniversary in the summer, proposal, and future marriage. Every good thing with the love of his life has happened in the sweltering heat of Arizona summers.

Orange has the warmth of watching sunsets as they are wrapped in each other's arms, or lying on the couch watching stupid reality shows that Levi swears makes brain matter leak from their ears. It's warm, blankets and sitting on the deck, being together in the sun. Orange has bliss, but it's hot, and it doesn't transfer to winter. Or, what winter is when you live in Arizona.

Orange is swelteringly beautiful, but it isn't as good as yellow.

Yellow is above red. Yeah, red has sex, but yellow is the sunshine color. It's Levi's color of happiness. So naturally, that includes sex to a degree, but for him, the only time he associates yellow with it is the first time.

But yellow is all the times orange isn't.

It's the new experiences, the coffee dates, the secret smiles, and goodnight kisses. It's the nights at home or the nights out, the home-cooked meals and the sleeping in. Add in breakfast in bed, every morning tradition of tea and coffee, and it's all yellow. This beautiful, sunshine yellow.

Every time they kiss, it's yellow. Even though they've been together forever, Levi still gets that feeling in his chest like it's the first time every time. All those moments are yellow.

When Erwin texts him throughout the day, all Levi feels is yellow. When Erwin dresses like he's ten years older than he is—albeit strange and a tad gay of him—Levi's chest warms with the color.

Hell, all it takes is for someone to say Erwin's name, and it's yellow, happiness and butterflies.

Yellow is fucking gorgeous, shining and bright and it makes up for the next color.

Green is the worst fucking color in the world.

Worse than the bad side of red.

The only time he's seen green have been horrible moments of doubt, envy, disgust, fear. Erwin is a trusting man, has made Levi trust him without fear, but there are always moments.