Chapter 17: Seekers

"Alright, listen up! I want a team on every track." The seeker lieutenant's tone was stern, used to being obeyed. "Keep your eyes and ears sharp. The target is a victim, not a criminal. We bring his little green ass in unharmed, unless he's still berserk. In that case safety is top priority."

Lieutenant Heart was a short man with spectacles and a balding scalp. Unimposing, but his looks were deceiving. Heart had been transferred from New Bedford because his seeker team had one of the highest head counts on the east coast. He had a knack for catching his targets and he delivered the King's justice swiftly.

"Where do you want us, Heart?" I asked as I flexed my fingers. Most of the feeling had returned while we waited for the seeker team to arrive.

He closed his eyes and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"Ah, the Freak Show..."

"What was that, Lieutenant?"

Heart ignored my question, turning to a pair of his men with a dismissive shrug. The nonchalant disrespect rubbed me the wrong way. I grabbed his shoulder before I thought better of it. He froze, his entire body going as stiff as the grave. I could feel his power like a cold weight pulling me down. Lieutenant Heart was a little over a century old. There was an undercurrent of something greater, only recently taking form. He would be a blood lord one day.

"We're st-"

He spun around with dizzying speed and grabbed my wrist. He grinned as he applied pressure, his fangs elongating like a movie screen villain. The feel of his fingers went from minor annoyance to actual pain quickly. I reversed his hold, twisting his arm behind his back in the process. Heart snarled and I watched his eyes dart to the blade at his waist. Things were escalating quickly.

I watched his face for the barest twitch and when I saw it, I struck. I whipped him back around and pushed him away while he was off balance. He stumbled for a few steps before catching himself. Lieutenant Heart turned towards me and his eyes went wide. I'd disarmed him, taking his weapon while he was disoriented.

Heart patted his side dumbly, not believing his own eyes. His brow furrowed, but his fangs retracted. He raised his hands in submission. I glanced around us. His men had drawn their weapons, so had Kolro and his people. Ariane had moved aside, clearly trying to stay out of it.

"Let's talk before this comes to blows." I kept my voice calm and even.

Heart nodded. I handed him his dirk, hilt first, and he carefully took and resheathed it. He gestured for the others to lower their weapons, neither side complied.

"Stand down," I ordered and, to my relief, everyone relaxed.

I hated undermining other officers, but the damage was already done. I had to forge ahead.

"I've heard what's said about me and I'm rarely moved to correct the lies, but I wouldn't deserve my position if I stood quiet while others insulted my subordinates." I pointed to Kolro and Ariane. "They've sworn their swords to the king just like the rest of us."

Lieutenant Heart looked visibly uncomfortable.

"We weaken all thrones when we cut down our own," I explained as best I could. "We're better than that. They deserve better than that."

Watching a man like Heart, a man living in the spotlight of his own renown, swallow his pride was a rare thing. Maybe he was as good a man as they said.

He took a deep breath and nodded to Kolro and Ariane. It wasn't an apology, but it was more than I had any right to expect. Hawkins's influence was deeply rooted in Gorgon City's infrastructure. There was a lot of work to do. First we had a gremlin to apprehend.