Prologue

*flash back*

Ashtons POV

"God, you have to be up there somewhere, you just have to. If you are, send her back safe, please...." I murmur into the darkness of my room as I lie on my bed in my soaking wet clothes, praying weakly over the sound of the storm pounding on my window.

I am praying for my mother. I am seventeen and I just returned from my mothers book club, I always seem to be dragged along to.

My mother and I are like sea and sand, the closet you'll ever see. Sure we have our disagreements, as mother and son will, but other then that we are like peas in a pod. We had a weird bond like best friends.

"Ashton", she said once to me, "I swear I'll never hurt you. Never".

The trouble is: I thought she meant it.

We were just about to leave her book club, when we seemed to have had an argument. I don't even remember what it was about, my heads buzzing so much, but I do remember saying "I hate you" before walking off into the stormy night.

It's now 11.43 and she's not home yet, which is very strange.

As I lay on my bed, I hear a knock at the door. I answer the door to see a smart looking police man, not that old.
"Is this the Irwin residence?"
"Yes", I answered confused, when he removed his hat.
"There's no other way to tell you this... but when your mother was driving home tonight, there was a.... well, there was a crash and with the stormy weather and all- -

I slammed the door, cutting him off. His words started to sink in, and my heart tears in two with a power so intense it would make the moon burn if only it knew how. My knees are weak. I am trembling, and my lips will not move. I collapse to the floor. My heart has stopped and there is evil in my soul. I am empty, my spirit has gone. I will never see her smile again. Never hear her voice or feel her comfort.

She has gone.
So has my heart.
You swore you would never hurt me, but now you have. More than you will ever know.