1: introducing characters

A year and a half later.....

Luke Hemmings, my best friend decided that it was definitely going to rain today, he thought.

"Luke! Lukeee! Lukeeeeee!" He turned his heel to see Sierra Deaton running hard to catch up to him, her plump little figure outlined the morning light.

"Hey, Sierra", he said, smiling down on her flushed face. She was over-presentable as usual: collar pressed and dark hair clipped back in order.

"You dried up excuse for a human being! Three times! Three times I have to yell! I tell you, if I liked you a fraction less, you'd be bleeding to death right now!" She panted, pushing up her sleeves. "Mind if I walk with you?

"I guess not".

They walked along in silence for a while, when a movement caught their attention. It was a girl, quite short, with tangled blonde hair flying behind her, running across the road about fifty metres ahead of them.

"Who's that?" Sierra asked.

"Oh her. She's in my history class. She's really weird. Y/N, I think".

"I've seen her around before. She's always alone. Doesn't she have any friends?"

"I don't think so". Luke frowned. "She doesn't smile, either. Pity, she'd be kind of good looking if she smiled".