Wish Dragon - Spoiler Review

Good grief, I wasn't expected to watch an Aladdin-inspired movie that would tingle my lamp-strings. (pun intended)

Hello, everybody! And today...(man, why Netflix wasn't promoting this one though?) I'm gonna be revewing Netflix's newest animated flick, Wish Dragon. I may not know if this movie was one of those movies that were held back because of that pandemic, but it was seriously a real treat to see more asian presentation + a bittersweet ending.

And for a quick refresher, this movie stars Din, an average boy who lives in a suburbs town in Shanghai, finds out a lamp from somewhere, somewhere and he summons the Wish Dragon that grants three special wishes in order to get his ticket back to the heavens. For Din, of course, he had one big wish is to reunite with his best friend, who were seperated for almost a decade.

And lemme tell you, I could easily predict this one since I've never watched Aladdin. But this movie blew out of the park. I do liked the story though. The writing between the first act and the third act was totally sublime. And the thing...being the thing that the dragon had once had become human and had no love for other people, was indeedly incredible (and I could see why Netflix decides not to spoil the movie too much).

Seeing the ending that the dragon has finally reformed and had learned the true meaning of love (not life though. I know various life lessons that was peeking all around movies. But that lesson reminds me a little like Beauty and the Beast), it's just amazing to me.

And for Din, I first understand his want though, but his need...was somehow kinda a blank??? Come on, I do analyze characters now, but I rant this once that what is Din's "wants"in this movie??? I don't understand the fact of his want though. (I may understand A little bit of his want but I had to rewatch this movie in order to tackle his characteristics)

For the dragon though, I adored his character though. I loved seeing him from a dragon who wants to go to his freakishly heaven to a dragon who appreciates all and of everyone and has learned to open up his heart a little bit to others. And that back story though, shows that how greedy he was...reminds me of the third act of a Charles Dicken's book. (expect the death part)

Therefore, I really liked the story of it. (Even though I got bored on the second act of it, at least it was good grief good)

Now the animation, was kinda okay. No need to analyze anything about it expect the dragon's fur. WHY IT DOES REMIND ME OF SISU'S FUR?? I know, when I saw him up close when Din was hugging the dragon, I was totally shooked. Again, I totally blown away by that detail, just saying.

And since I had watched a Jackie Chan film, I was glad that I had watched this in Japanese subs, it does make it more authentic to the story (kudos to the Japanese dubbing team or voices whatever) but I would watch this movie again in English audio, to see if it was less authentic than the Japan one.

Therefore, it was a great film but skeptical to handle the plot. I've rarely loved movies focused on Asian culture. Had laughed and cried a little, but it's a great movie indeed.

And the mother though, reminds a little bit of the characteristics of Libba (from Pixar Soul, the truth-telling, no-nonsense personality) and Fei Fei's mother (from Over the Moon, the one who had loved makes food so much that she had held on to her craft and everything). And I headcannoned the dragon and Sisu ever interacting to each other, fighting over a bag of shirmp puffs. (boy, please make this happen)

Still a great movie by the way and I might gonna end this one here. Thanks for reading and have a lovely day! 💕