Chapter 3: My Life Changed

As Thorne and I walked to the back of the Rampion to get a small, wooden canoe, I couldn't help but feel slightly nervous. What important thing did Thorne have to talk about? My only reassurance was that Thorne wouldn't choose such a beautiful place to break up with me. Quickly, I pushed those feelings aside and helped Thorne drag the canoe into the water. Of course I was excited to go an a boat for the first time.

I climbed in as he pushed the canoe in, before jumping in with me. After I helped him up, we sat comfortably on opposite sides of the boat to balance it. Thorne listened patiently as I rambled on about how amazing the sea and the islands were, never interrupting me, with a slightly amused smile on his face.

"Where are we going?" I asked at last.

"I wanted to show you something special," he replied.

"I'm listening."

"No matter what you think, I'm very sorry I've been away. But now that I am officialy a captain, I want to spend more time with you."

"It's OK, Thorne. We agreed together."

We rowed silently, going farther and farther from our shore, until from far, you could see it was actually an island. I knew it was silly, but suddenly, I was afraid of the vastness of the sea, or ocean, and how far we were from civilization. Thorne must have noticed my sudden fear, because he squeezed my hand reassuringly. 

"There are more people around than you think. My sister's town is only a few miles from here. Don't worry, we are at a popular spot for tourism, although our island is slightly smaller than the others. We are safe, but have all the privacy we need."

Finally, we stopped. Our island seemed tiny from far away, and there was nothing ahead except for the horizon. And the sun. The sun seemed like a ball of fire, as it started sinking under the sea. The sky exploded in colors. It was beautiful and mezmerizing at the same time. I had seen hundreds of sunsets ever since I came to Earth, but never like this.

"Wow!" I whispered.

"Cress, I need to tell you something," stammered Thorne, obviously embarrased, as he pulled out a small black box, "will uh uh you..."

Putting two and two together, I realized what he was saying, "Yes," I breathed, "there is no one I would rather spend the rest of my life with."

He came closer to me, and opened the box. There was a silver ring, with glittering white jewels I thought were named diamonds, but the name didn't matter. The ring was beautiful. 

"It must have cost you a fortune."

"Doesn't matter. You're worth it. Also, if you really want to know a secret, Cinder saw what I was planning to do, and Wolf convinced her to give it to me from the Lunar treasury for half price under the condition that I treat you well."

"He's a good friend. And thank you, for everything," I said, as he slid over to put the ring on my finger. 

The sudden movement caused the boat to tip over, throwing us both into the water. We laughed as we climbed on again, and I kissed him. We had kissed a few times ever since we defeated Queen Levana, but never like this. This kiss was gentle, and warmed me despite the freezing water.

"I want to spend every moment of my life with you," declared Thorne.

"Me too," I replied, before adding, "come on, let's get dried. I brought towels just in case."

I whimpered as we sat until the sky got dark, especially when Luna came into view. Thorne noticed, and said comfortingly, "Don't worry, they can't hurt you anymore."

Instead, I gazed at the night sky, and all of the glittering stars, until I started getting drowsy. As I started nodding off, Thorne lifted me up so I could sleep comfortably on his shoulder, removed my soaking wet towel, and wrapped me with our spare, dry one.

Even though I was asleep, I still had faint memories of Thorne rowing us back to our little island, and carrying me back to my room and wrapping me with my blankets, before whispering goodnight and gently closing the door to do some of his work.