Chapter 4: Setbacks

A/N: This will be a short chapter, but I will update soon.

"Cress, there's a problem," said Thorne as I slowly woke up and headed to the kitchen.

"What is it?"

"The Rampion has no fuel. It'll take a few weeks to recharge the batteries."

"And if we use solar power?"

"Three days at most."

"Then we wait. Let's make the most of it," I said, before adding, "what about our communications. Cinder could send someone."

"They're broken. During our bumpy crash landing."

"OK, then here's the plan: we both work together to repair the ship using our combined skillset, and when the batteries are charged, we go back to the Commonwealth."

"Great. Just one question. How did you learn to be a mechanic?"

"Cinder taught me. I had a fear of not being useful. I actually learned some things. Not as much as I'd like, but enough for now."

"Ok, let's get to work."

For the next few days, we worked hard to fix the ship. Even though our situation was far from ideal, since we were marooned on a rocky island in the middle of the Indian Ocean, I was happy to be spending time with Thorne, before we both had to go back to our regular lives. But there was still the wedding to look forward, in which sometimes we decided to plan while working, but eventually deciding that it was more important than the work, so we would sit down and talk for hours. And now that Thorne quit his job in the military, we would have more time to spend together.

Luckily, while I was checking the Rampion for anything useful, I had found a secret compartment full of junk food. There were cookies, bars of chocolate, candy bars, chips, crackers, and plenty of delicious Earthen sweets I had started to develop a craving for. We had lived off those, some wild plants that grew around here, and some fish. The Rampion seemed to have more problems than we originally thought, so we ended up staying here for a week.

Finally, Thorne declared that he thought he was done, and we did a few checks to make sure everything was working. Since everything was fine, we packed our possessions and prepared to launch.

At last, we were out of here, although I couldn't deny it had been an amazing vacation.