( CHAPTER TWELVE, XII. )

CHAPTER TWELVE, XII.
PICK YOUR BATTLES

Summerhall, 301 AC

THE PAST FEW DAYS OF TRAVEL HAD TAKEN THEIR TOLL ON THE YOUNG QUEEN. They had travelled by water from Wyl to Vulture's Roost, and quickly kept moving over the Dornish Marches to Summerhall. The castle at Summerhall was in ruins, after it was burnt down in 259 AC, but there was still plenty of space around the ruins to set up a camp for the Targaryen forces. 

Maehera rested on the makeshift bed in the tent, careful to keep an eye on her children while keeping a distance from them as to not pass on her cold to them. She could just see Mecca Sand, the bodyguard Viserys had assigned to them, standing at the entrance of the tent with her back to them, watching for any signs of approaching danger.

In the tent opposite, Viserys met with Nymor Martell and the two lords of the other Old Valyrian houses in Westeros, Lord Ardrian Celtigar and Lord Monford Velaryon. They had 34000 men in the camps, made up of the Unsullied and the Dornishmen, and the Celtigar and Velaryon forces made up only an extra 2500 men. Viserys worried that they would not have enough men to win the war for the throne, but hoped that he soon would. 

He still had not heard anything from the Dothraki since leaving his sister in Vaes Dothrak three years prior.

Viserys estimated the Westerosi forces to be approximately 235000 strong, and hoped that the skill of the Unsullied and the might of the Dothraki would make up for the large difference (as even with the Dothraki, Viserys estimated that they would be outnumbered by about 100000 men). But, his plan relied on the arrival of Daenerys with the Dothraki.

"Your highness, you should send a raven to Illyrio Mopatis. He'll be able to pass your message on to your sister. Then we'll be able to ensure that she and the Dothraki arrive in Westeros in time for your war," Nymor Martell said. 

"Right. I have no idea how she's been over these last few years, I can't expect her to know about my plans," Viserys said, rubbing his eyes. They had been in there for half the day, and it was now well into the night. "I'll quickly write that letter and have a raven deliver it. The rest of you, go back to your tents and rest now".

After sending off the raven, Viserys retired to the tent he shared with his wife and children. The candles in the tent were still lit, but Maehera and the children were already asleep. Viserys walked over to the childrens' cots, placing a tender kiss to each of their little foreheads. He smiled down at them, thinking about how innocent and peaceful they looked. Viserys envied that; he'd had a massive headache from all the constant worrying for the upcoming war and their uncertain futures, while they'd been able to continue playing happily, unaware of the situation they were in. 

Viserys quickly readied himself for bed, blowing out all the candles in the tent except for the one closest to his side of the bed. He looked down at Maehera. She too looked innocent in her sleep, but the worry she was also feeling remained on her face. Viserys poked the corner of her frown before blowing out the last candle and falling asleep. 

Daeron and Helaena played at Viserys' feet, the tiled floor of the Red Keep beneath them. At his side, Maehera sat rubbing a hand over her large stomach. She gasped and turned to Viserys. 

"The baby just kicked," Maehera said, her eyes lighting up. 

"I want to feel, I want to feel," Daeron and Helaena immediately started saying, dropping their toys to the ground. Viserys laughed at his children, they were just too adorable. He moved forward to pat Daeron's fluffy silver head but before he could, an arrow shot through the young child's head. Viserys moved back in shock, looking toward his wife and daughter. Shock ran through his bones as he saw them slaughtered next to Daeron.

Viserys shot up straight in bed. Sweat dripped down his head and neck in the cool night air. He felt Maehera's hand reach for him in the darkness; she grasped onto his upper arm, the other hand finding its way to his head and pulling him towards her. 

"Everything is alright, you're alright," Maehera said softly, hugging him to her chest. 

Viserys pulled away from Maehera, and turned to face her. He cupped her face, and put his forehead against hers. 

"What happened?" Maehera asked.

"Nothing. I'm just glad that you're all here," Viserys replied.

Maehera knew, of course, that it wasn't nothing. But he clearly didn't want to talk about it, at least not yet, so she didn't push.

Around 8 weeks passed while they waited in Summerhall for news from Illyrio Mopatis or Daenerys. The same nightmare plagued Viserys' sleep almost every night, and he began to avoid sleep more and more as time passed. 

When his younger sister arrived in Summerhall with dragons, Viserys thought he was hallucinating; he was convinced the lack of sleep was beginning to play tricks on his mind. He faintly heard his children squealing with excitement at the sight of these new creatures before dark spots covered his vision.

author's note 

it's not quite as long as I would like, but this felt like a good place to end the chapter. anyways, i'm back from a three year hiatus ! enjoy the new chapter~