( CHAPTER FIVE, V.)

CHAPTER FIVE, V.
SWEET SACRIFICES

Pentos, 298 AC

VISERYS TARGARYEN WAS NO STUPID MAN. He knew that they could not rely on Illyrio Mopatis' generosity forever. Viserys also knew that he needed an army, but the Targaryens had no money. And so, he arranged for Daenerys to marry the Dothraki horselord, Khal Drogo.

Maehera was walking along the Pentoshi harbour, where markets lined the streets, when the crowd suddenly became chaotic. Buyers quickly rushed off of the streets, forgetting bought goods in their hurry. Soon, a dead body was revealed, one with long, silver hair. Nearby, a wine goblet lay spilt.

Nymeria Jordayne urged the lilac-eyed queen with an arm around the girl's shoulder. Nymeria had seen the horrid sight as well, no doubt intended to be either Maehera or Daenerys, which was why she had needed to get Maehera back to the manse.

As soon as they passed through the threshold of the manse, Maehera collapsed on the floor, causing Nymeria to drop to her knees to keep her from hitting her head. Soon, Nymeria saw Daenerys poke her head out into the entrance hall before her elder brother came out from an archway one behind the one Daenerys was looking in from.

"What happened?" he demanded, picking up the unconscious Maehera.

"There was a death in the harbour markets, she wouldn't stop looking until it was out of sight. She just fainted when we came in," Nymeria replied, trailing behind Viserys as Daenerys joined her side. "She had silver hair," the Dornish woman added.

Viserys and Daenerys looked at her with worry in their eyes. "We need to leave as soon as possible," Viserys stated, "Tend to the Queen". He placed Maehera on a sofa before exiting the room quickly.

Khal Drogo arrived in front of Illyrio's manse the day after. Viserys, Daenerys and Illyrio had greeted the Dothraki horselord while Maehera had watched from a window, not feeling well enough to walk around.

A servant brought in a tray of food, placing it in front of the Westerosi girl and her Dornish companion. Maehera dismissed the servant after they had delivered the food but had not moved to touch it.

"Your grace, you must eat. You did not break your fast this morning," Nymeria fretted, her eyebrows pressing together.

"I'm not hungry," Maehera simply stated, her gaze still focused outside.

Nymeria sighed, she knew she could not get Maehera to eat if she didn't want to. Instead, Nymeria turned her gaze to follow the Queen's.

"He has very long hair," the Dornish woman said, observing the Khal.

"Viserys told me that they only cut it if they have lost in battle, as a way of showing their shame," Maehera replied monotonously.

A few more moments of silence passed between the two, before Nymeria spoke up again. "Mae, are you absolutely sure you're alright?" she asked, "And I'm not asking as a lady-in-waiting, I'm asking as a concerned friend, so, please, answer truthfully."

"I- I just can't stop thinking about that girl in the markets. What if it was meant to be me laying there dead?" Maehera answered, a slight vulnerability in her eyes as she finally turned to face her friend.