( CHAPTER SIXTEEN, XVI. )

CHAPTER SIXTEEN, XVI.
LIONSLAYER

The Kingswood, 301 AC

NOTHING BUT THE SOUNDS OF LEAVES RUSTLING IN THE WIND COULD BE HEARD IN THE FOREST. It should have been calming. But to the anxious doe, it felt only like the calm before the storm. 

Maehera stood just outside the tent, her children being watched in the tent by their Dornish guard. Her eyes scanned the surroundings, checking for any figures darting through the trees, for any sign of imminent danger. But the woods were calm. This should have made her calm, but it did the opposite. 

It had been a couple of hours since she had arrived back in the Kingswood, since she had left Viserys, her goodsister and all the soldiers at King's Landing to do all the fighting while she hid with her children. 

The leaves of a bush behind Maehera started rustling. It was different from the rustling of the wind; it wasn't a little rustle as the breeze brushed the outer leaves of the shrub. It sounded as if something was moving through the bush. Maehera's heart started pounding, it felt heavy as it banged against her chest. Her throat felt tight, her breathing began to feel difficult. 

King's Landing, 301 AC

Daenerys flew over the walls of King's Landing, watching as their forces overwhelmed the soldiers of King's Landing. She watched as the Lannister soldiers began loading a catapult, readying to fling large rocks at the battle that raged below. 

"Drogon, down," Daenerys said, urging the dragon to fly lower, and take out the catapult. He took a few of the soldiers with him as he flew back up, dropping them to their deaths from the heights. 

"Good boy," Daenerys leant forward, running her hand over Drogon's neck as she pet him.

Viserion and Rhaegal followed Drogon's lead, taking out more catapults and soldiers from the walls of King's Landing as they flew behind him. Screams filled the air as the Lannister soldiers fell from the skies, tormented by the dragons. 

In the Red Keep, Viserys burst open the doors to the small council chambers. His heart was pounding, but he kept the bravest face he could on. This would be his victory moment, he wasn't about to start it looking like a coward. Nymor Martell and his men dragged in the young Tommen Baratheon and his newly-wedded wife Margaery Tyrell behind them, the golden-haired boy and his rose still passed out in their arms. 

The heads of the occupants of the chambers snapped up, their eyes wide from the shock of the sudden intrusion. Tywin Lannister, the old lion himself, was the first to recover.

"Well, if it isn't the Mad King's heir," Tywin spat, "Tell me, boy, are you as mad as your father, or are you in denial?".

"Father," Cersei hissed at her father. "Do not say anything rash. He has my son," she whisper-yelled at him, "And you, Jaime, are you just going to stand there watching while he threatens my only remaining son's life?".

In response, Jaime seemed to jolt back to reality. "Let go of the King and Queen," Jaime commanded, placing a hand on the hilt of his sword. 

"I don't think we'll let go of your little bastard," Viserys spat back. "Afterall, he is a usurper to my throne, so he must of course be eliminated. I simply brought him here to let you watch his execution".

Nymor began to grin from behind Viserys. He had heard that Elia had been forced to watch as her children were slaughtered before her, and now he would be able to subject the lioness to this same experience in his revenge for his late sister.

Nymor raised his sword to Tommen's neck, who was still unconscious, completely unaware of the dangerous situation he was in; completely unaware of his imminent doom. Jaime Lannister drew his sword, pointing it towards Viserys.

"Tell your men to let him go now," Jaime commanded. The Dornish soldiers that had accompanied Viserys and Nymor immediately formed a wall between Viserys, Nymor and the Lannisters. 

"Stand down, Kingslayer," Nymor spat, "Or I'll just make his death more slow and painful". Nymor pushed the blade of his sword into Tommen's neck, slightly. It wasn't enough to draw blood yet, but was enough to cause the lions to stand down a little.

"Prince Nymor, we can negotiate like civilised men, can we not?" Tywin Lannister said.

"Like civilised men who brutally murder women and their babes?" Nymor asked back, his words dripping with venom. "I came here today to avenge my sister Elia. Nothing you can say will rob me of that greatest satisfaction".

"Kill them all," Viserys turned to Nymor, his voice strong. He turned on his heel, exiting the chambers as Nymor slit the throat of the first Lannister. He slumped against the wall outside the chambers, his heart pounding nervously still. 

You can't be weak, Viserys thought to himself, You have to be strong.