( CHAPTER THIRTEEN, XIII. )

CHAPTER THIRTEEN, XIII.
DANCE OF THE DRAGONS

Summerhall, 301 AC

"VISERYS? ARE YOU ALRIGHT?"

He could feel a hand squeezing his as he slowly opened his eyes. Maehera sat by his side, her hands holding one of his. Helaena sat in her mother's lap, staring at Viserys, while Daeron stood next to them, his little hand gripping on to his mother's skirts. Viserys sat up slowly, noticing Daenerys standing at the entrance to the tent.

"I must not have slept enough recently. I thought I saw dragons," he said, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"You weren't hallucinating," Daenerys said, moving closer to the bed. "I have dragons. Three of them".

"What? How is that possible?" Viserys exclaimed in surprise.

"The eggs-" Daenerys started.

"The eggs were petrified," Viserys interrupted.

"And yet, they hatched when I put them into fire," Daenerys said, "And now, I have three dragons".

Viserys climbed out the bed, and moved towards the exit of the tent. 

"Viserys?" Maehera called, standing up from the chair.

"I need to see them for myself," he replied, walking outside. He could hear Daenerys and Maehera follow him, with little Daeron in tow. Viserys heard the screech of the dragons before they entered his sight. He pinched his hand, finally realising there were actually dragons when the pain shot through his hand.

"Well? Believe me now, brother?" Daenerys asked, crossing her arms over her chest with a smug look on her face. 

Viserys sighed looking at his sister. It was great that he had dragons on his side now; he now had a great secret weapon, but he could already imagine his war council becoming annoyed when he would have to call another meeting to discuss strategy to account for the added forces and the dragons that Daenerys had brought with her. 

At least we are almost guaranteed victory, Viserys thought, especially if we can keep news of the dragons a secret.

King's Landing, 301 AC

The young child ran out of Varys' chambers, disappearing back into the shadows. 

"Very interesting," he said aloud to himself. "They couldn't have picked a better time".

He could still hear Cersei's manic cries and shouts echoing through the Red Keep just hours after the death of her eldest son, Joffrey. The guards around her younger son, and the new king, had increased in numbers and become more vigilant. With how unstable things were in King's Landing, and the outside threats from Stannis Baratheon and his red priestess, Viserys had picked a great time to attack in Varys' mind.

Jaime Lannister opened the Spider's door and rushed in. "Tell me you something, anything, about this, Varys," Jaime said. 

Varys could hear a hint of desperation in the Kingsguard's voice, along with sadness. He did just lose a son, I suppose, Varys thought. "I know nothing more than you do," he replied, "I do have other news that may interest you, however".

"Enemies are drawing in. I doubt you can prepare well enough to be able to defeat them," Varys continued.

"We already know about Stannis Baratheon, Varys," Jaime said, an annoyed tone in his voice.

"Not Stannis, someone else," the Spider replied.

Kingswood, 301 AC

After almost 6 weeks of travelling, they were almost there. In a few days, they would be at the gates of King's Landing. 

As he sat down in the tent, Viserys felt himself taking long, deep breaths, trying to get rid of that heavy feeling that sat at the top of his chest. He really hoped that it was all enough. It had to be enough. 

I have too much to lose if I fail, he thought, looking towards his sleeping family. Daeron and Helaena were fast asleep, and still mostly unaware of their situation as far as Viserys could tell. Maehera however, who knew all too well what was happening and what could happen should they lose, slept with her eyebrows furrowed and her hands balled up in fists with part of the bedsheets in them.

Viserys let out a sigh, sitting down on the edge of the bed. He ran his hands through his hair, hunching over as he sat. Suddenly he was glad for his naturally silver hair; he was sure gray hairs would show had he had black or brown hair. Viserys turned his head as felt Maehera shift behind him. She was now propped up on one hand, with the other rubbing her eyes.

"Viserys? Did you just come in?" she asked. She continued to shift until she sat directly behind Viserys, wrapping her arms around him.

He'd become accustomed to this. Over the past few weeks, she'd silently hugged him whenever he came in late from his war council meetings. He could tell that she knew he was stressed, and was grateful for her little attempts at relieving his stress.

Viserys turned his body, bringing his legs onto the bed. He wrapped his arms around Maehera, pulling her back down to lie next to him and planting a soft kiss onto her forehead. 

"Sleep now," she said drowsily. Viserys let out a small chuckle at hearing the sleep in her voice, looking down to see her eyes already closed again as she rested her head on his chest. 

"Good night, my love," he whispered, closing his eyes to fall asleep.

author's note 
this just felt like a good spot to end the chapter; with a little bit of fluff~