23

VALENTINO

"Do you want anything to drink?" I asked Mariah as I led her into my apartment and over to my living room.

Honestly, I was so in shock that she had shown up that I didn't even know what to say to her. As much as I wanted to think that this was her forgiving me, I knew not to be that optimistic.

"No, I'm okay," she replied, sitting on the couch and pulling off the jacket she was wearing. I gulped as my eyes landed on the lacy top, her breasts practically popping out the top. I let my eyes travel up to her face, looking at the way the curls on her head framed her beautiful face. "Are you gonna sit?"

"Yeah, sorry," I said, rushing to sit beside her—but not to close. "What'd you wanna talk about?"

"I have something to tell you."

As soon as she said that, my stomach felt like it did a full on somersault. There were so many things she could have to tell me—that she doesn't want to be around me anymore, that she's pregnant, that she hates me.

"My...My friend Audrey that I told you about...she was killed," she told me, avoiding my gaze as she played with her fingers. "Her boyfriend was in a gang and she was killed as some sort of revenge against him. As much as I want to believe you that I won't be in danger...I can never forget what happened to her over some stupid...organization as you say."

I didn't know what to say. I hated myself for being silent...I wanted her to know I understood, but I also didn't want to say the wrong thing.

"I understand why that makes you so paranoid...I do. But I want you to also know that we have a code against harming women and children unless they are directly involved. I brought the guards with us just in case someone broke that code...but Mariah it hasn't happened in decades. I'm so sorry about what happened to Audrey...I can't imagine how that must have felt, Ri."

She nodded at my words, finally looking me in the eyes. The fact that she finally looked at me made me feel as though ten tons had been raised off my shoulders.

"I don't want what's between us to be over," she breathed out after a moment of silence. "But I want to take things slowly—like before."

"We were taking things slowly?" I laughed, watching as she let a smile grow on her face. "But I agree that we should take things slowly...I want you to always let me know if you're not comfortable with something or if you want to know more."

She nodded her head, surprising me by scooting closer to me on the couch so we were just barely touching.

"I'm sorry for being so rude the other day. I know this isn't what you planned for your life and I know you're not a bad guy," she said softly, placing her hand over mine and intertwining our fingers.

"Don't apologize. You were justified. I'm so sorry for putting you in that situation...you shouldn't have had to deal with all those guns pointed at you," I told her, looking down at her to see her looking right back at me with those expressive eyes of hers. "Can I kiss you? To make up loss time, you know?" I inquired with a smirk on my face.

"No," she said seriously, shaking her head at me with emphasis before giving me a bright smile as she laughed. "You can."

Shaking my head at her, I swooped in and pressed a kiss to her soft, plump lips, savoring the feeling after having missed out on it for two weeks.

"I'm sorry to ruin the mood," she said once we pulled away for breath. "But you're not being charged with anything, right?"

"No," I replied, playing with the lace hemming of her shirt, unable to take my eyes off of her. Those two weeks had been torture. "I didn't do anything wrong."

"Good," she remarked, pressing a peck to my lips before jumping to her feet. "Now that I'm less angry at you...what should we do? I'm bored," she whined, throwing her head back and letting out a sigh.

"I have a few ideas," I muttered, raising my eyebrows suggestively as she rolled her eyes at me.

"As much as I enjoy that I want to do something else fun. I have an idea."

"Whatever you want," I said with a sigh, standing from the couch as she bounded over to my elevator.

As I followed her, I couldn't help the grin that grew on my face as I relished in her presence. It scared me how fast I was beginning to become absolutely enamored by her—but I couldn't stop it.

***
MARIAH

"Mariah, I mean this in the nicest possible way," Valentino started as soon as we stepped out of my car, his eyes wide as he did so. "I am never letting you drive me again."

"It wasn't that bad. That woman cut me off," I scoffed as I moved to stand by his side as we walked towards the building in front of us.

"Roller skating?" He sighed when he looked at the sign in front of us, stopping in his tracks to turn and look at me. "No."

"No!?" I exclaimed, turning to face him with my arms crossed. "It's my turn to pick a date and this is where it's happening. Even if you don't know how to skate...I'll teach you."

He still looked quite apprehensive about the idea, but obliged nonetheless and began to walk back into the rink.

"Size nine please," I told the woman behind the counter in order to get our skates.

"Size thirteen please," he told her, making my eyes practically bulge out of my head. No wonder—

"Look! That's why I don't want to do this," he shouted, breaking my chain of thought as he pointed to a man who came crashing to the ground.

"I won't let you fall Val."

We put on our skates and I immediately stood to my feet, skating forwards and backwards in front of him along with the song that was playing.

I watched as he stood up slowly, a smile on his face when he finally stood straight, flailing his arms just seconds later when he began to fall.

"I told you I won't let you fall," I said with a wink as I grabbed ahold of his waist to keep him stable.

I grabbed his hand and pulled him onto the rink and out to the middle—much to his protest—where I began to teach him.

Ten minutes in, he was able to keep up with me as we skated swiftly around the rink, seeming as if he knew how to skate for years.

"You're a natural," I told him with a bright smile as I laced our fingers together, locking eyes with him as we narrowly escaped the wall.

About two hours in, the rink had been cleared completely of kids, leaving just adults and older teens.

"It's time for the couple's skate!" A man yelled from over the speakers as the lights dimmed and the song was changed to a romantic one.

I pulled Valentino back into the rink, our hands interlocked as we began to skate along with the other couples.

"I'm so glad we're doing this," I told him over the music so only he could hear, feeling my cheeks heat up as he looked down at me with an unreadable expression. It made me want to do things to him.

"Me too. I was so...lonely without you," he replied, wrapped one of his hands around my waist as we slowed down our pace a bit.

"I was too. I guess now we can be...lonely together?"

"Hmm...lonely together. I like that."

a/n: not sure how i feel about the ending of this chapter after they kinda made up, but i didn't want to make this chapter really short too

ya'll like the way i incorporated the book title???

also...the next chapter starts off a little...strong. just remember i'm giving you a fair warning.

please vote!!!