40

VALENTINO

"No," Adriano muttered at the man's words as I remained frozen, my heart pounding as the words replayed in my mind over and over again.

I was the capo. I was the leader of the mafia—a title I didn't want in the slightest.

"You must have read it wrong...that's not true. I am the capo!" Adriano shouted, standing from his seat, his eyes burning as they locked on me as he said that final words.

"No you're not," our mother murmured from beside me, speaking for the first time since the will began being read. "Your father told me months ago that he wanted Valentino to become the next capo when he passed. Valentino, he explains why in his letter to you."

She patted my hand softly, her eyes filled with sadness as she looked at me because she knows this isn't what I want in life. Turning to face Mariah, I observed the blank expression she had on her face, clearly not sure how to handle the news.

"He told me from the time that I was a child that I was going to be capo. He told me!"

"And he changed his mind," my mother spoke with finality, motioning for Adriano to sit down.

I placed my hand on Mariah's thigh, hoping that she would give me any sign that she was still on my side—that I hadn't pushed her away. She knew I didn't want this for my life—for us—which was exactly why she placed her hand over mine, linking our fingers.

As much as I didn't want to be the leader, there was no turning back. The same way I wasn't able to leave when I took my oath, was the same way I wouldn't be able to leave now that I was the boss. My father had made his choice and it was set in stone.

"I will now pass out the final letters to each of you. His others from over the years will be sent to you shortly," Mr. Alessi remarked, handing me a letter.

I took it in my hand, refusing to open it for fear of what it might say. Still, I needed to know the reason why he chose me—why he changed his mind. I looked over at Mariah, hoping for her to give me some confirmation to open the letter. Months ago, I couldn't even imagine myself looking to anyone else for their opinion on what I should do, but I now, I wanted her opinion for almost each and everything I did.

"Open it," she said softly, intertwining our fingers as she looked at me with an intense expression in her eyes—love. "You need to know what he has to say."

I nodded and let out a sigh, looking back down at the letter and unfolding it.

Valentino,
I'm writing this in your twenty-seventh year of life, as I do every year, yet this letter is different than all the others. Your older brothers were easy to raise—they always followed the rules, always did what I asked, never talked back. Yet with you, you challenged everything I put in front of you and challenged my authority your whole life, which I both hated and admired. You're headstrong Valentino...you know what you want and you go after it. You're not afraid to do things on your own the way I was afraid to. I know we never had a good relationship and I know that was my fault, but I never knew how to be the father you needed. I didn't feel capable, but I also didn't have a good father to model it for me. I hope that if you eventually have children, you don't follow in the same mistakes that other Santori men have made as fathers. I should have tried and I know that looking back now, but I do want you to know that I am proud of the man you have become—a better man that I could ever be. I know you're wondering why I chose you to become capo, but I feel that it should be obvious. You're intelligent, you pay attention, you're a leader—everything a good capo needs to be. You don't need to be ruthless the way I was, you don't need to harm others the way I did—you need to lead the way you want to. Congratulations Valentino.
Your Father