Chapter 1

Sam was 20 when he married his high school sweetheart.

They were 22 when they decided to try to have a baby.

After 6 months of trying, without success, they decided to speak with a doctor about it.

They discovered that he was infertile.

After a couple of hours of talking it through at home, they decided to adopt.

The process was long and hard, but in the end, they managed to adopt a 4-year-old named George.

The first month was full of the two of them trying to gain the young boy’s trust. After that he was an absolute sweetheart, constantly running around and giggling, the sound bringing joy to the house that wasn’t there before.
-----
However, that seemingly perfect picture soon came crashing down.
-----
Sam stepped out of his car, closing the door behind him. He quickly fished his keys out of his pockets, unlocking the door and walking inside.

The house was silent in a way it hadn’t been since before they adopted George, and it was slightly concerning. “I’m home!” He called into the silence, listening as it rang throughout the silent house.

He walked quickly up the stairs, walking down the hall and into his son’s room.

As he walked in he immediately became more concerned by the sight he saw.

George was curled up atop his blankets clutching his stuffed bear close as he sobbed quietly into its fur.

He walked over to where he was laying, sitting on the bed next to him. George noticed the movement, lifting his head to see who had walked in.

When he saw it was his father, he quickly sat up, practically throwing himself into his dad’s arms, continuing to sob into his shirt.

“What’s wrong?” George continued to sob as he spoke. “Mama w-was sad a-a-and when I asked,” He interrupted himself with sobs.

Sam rubbed his back and hushed him, “It’s alright. Take your time so you don’t make yourself sick, bud.”
When George's sobs finally came to a stop, he attempted to speak.

“Mama was crying, and when I asked her what was wrong she yelled at me.”

Sam was both angry and concerned. Angry that she had yelled at George when he just wanted to help, concerned because she was crying.

He soothed the boy, holding him close as he cried quietly.

When he finally fell asleep, Sam stood up, holding George in his arms, and lay him under the covers.

He walked out of the room, closing the door behind him as quietly as he could, and walked to the bedroom he and his wife shared.

When he walked in, his wife immediately stood from where she had been sitting on the bed wiping her face.

“Hey what’s wrong?” “I have to tell you something.”

They both sat down on the bed, Sam watching as she nervously played with her fingers.

“What is that you wanted-” “I’m pregnant!”

All of the words caught in his throat. Before he had the chance to get excited, however, she spoke again.

“And it’s not yours.”

Sam’s entire world came crashing down around him as he processed the information. “W-what?”

His wife sighed before speaking. “Sam, since we found out we wouldn’t be able to have children of our own, I've been cheating on you.”

Those words lead to an argument that lasted several hours and ended with Sam’s now ex-wife leaving the house, leaving Sam and their son as well.

Sam sobbed, curling in on himself a desperate attempt to comfort himself. He didn’t notice when the door opened, but what he did notice was when the bed dipped under the weight of a much smaller body than his own. He looked up and saw George staring at him, concern clear in his eyes. “Daddy, what’s wrong?”

Sam let out a sound that even he couldn’t tell was a laugh or a sob.

He reached out, pulling George close to his chest, burying his face in his hair.

He decided right then that he would try his best to make sure George never felt any kind of heartbreak.

“It’s nothing you need to worry about, bud. Just go to sleep.”

A/N: Writing this made me kinda sad ngl. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed!