Chapter 6

The two of them ate in silence, the only noises being the sound of metal scraping against ceramic. There was a tense atmosphere that had settled in the room, draping across them; Like a heavy blanket on a hot summer night, it was suffocating.

Sam desperately wanted to say something, anything, to break the tension, to rip off the blanket, but couldn't bring himself to do so.

So the silence remained.

That is until George decided to break it himself.

"I think it would be best for me to go to Wilbur house to work tomorrow."

Sam's head snapped up from where he had been staring down at his plate to look at his son.

"What?" "I just noticed that you didn't seem to want him here, so figured it would be better," he paused for a moment, "for both of you."

Sam wanted to argue, to protest, but the look on his son's face, alongside the tone of his voice, was enough to stop him in his tracks.

They were both challenging, daring him to attempt to argue. They also told him that if he did so, he would be faced with just as much pushback. It was a look he had never seen his son give anyone, let alone him. That alone was enough for him to keep his mouth shut.

"Yea, alright." He said, nodding his head as he went back to eating. "Just make sure you message me to remind me."

"Alright, I can do that."

The silence may have returned, but that suffocating blanket never left to begin with.

-----

<I'm heading to Wilburs place rn :]>

<Alright!>

<Thank you for reminding me>

-----

Sam hadn't needed the reminder, but god did he wish he did.

He wished that he could have forgotten where his son was heading. He wished that he was able to just pretend that George was just sitting up in his room, doing his homework as he was working on dinner for just the two of them.

Unfortunately for him, he was hyper-aware of where George was.; Of the fact that his son was out of his view with someone with a reputation of having sex with anyone he could and then leaving them heartbroken.

It worried him to no end.

So he decided to do what he always told George to do whenever he got anxious.

Redirect his energy.

He did that by doing a load of laundry as he scrubbed the kitchen counters. Once he was done in the kitchen, he headed to the bathroom. He restocked the small drawers that held the toilet paper and towels.

By the time he was finished with that, he went to pull the clothes out of the dryer.

He placed the basket full of unfolded fabric on a chair next to the dining room table, pulling out a chair for himself before he began to fold the articles of clothing.

While he was doing so he made sure to keep track of which were his clothes and which were George's.

Which wasn't hard considering the height difference.