Chapter 5

Sam was in quite the predicament.

On one hand, he didn't want Wilbur in his house.

Sam's house was the one place he could be one hundred percent sure that George was safe. He had full control of what, or in this case who, entered and exited the building.

He couldn't do that with the rest of the world. In the outside world, George was bound to come across a whole plethora of dangerous people, especially within his school.

So Sam did his best to make sure that everyone who enters his home has as minimal possibility of hurting his son as possible.

Sam's house was also theirs. It was the place where he officially met his son for the first time. The place where Sam made the happiest memories, and where all of George's were made. So the last thing was for Wilbur to waltz in and ruin it.

On the other hand, he didn't want Wilbur and George to be alone together without proper supervision. He didn't know if Wilbur's parents were going to be around, and even if they were, he didn't trust them to step in if Wilbur was to try something. Especially considering they seemingly didn't bother trying to stop what he had already done.

With those two things in mind he had to decide what to say. He had to decide which was more important to him.

Keeping an eye on George, or keeping Wilbur out of his house?

He thought about it a bit more before forcing a smile and speaking.

"Oh! Sure, yea Wilbur can come over!"

The words sounded forced, spoken through gritted teeth, and hidden behind a smile that was way too sweet to be real.

But George didn't seem to notice, a small, genuine, smile stretching across his lips. "Alright. I'll let him know.", He said, nodding as he went back to eating.

Sam sighed, staring down at his plate as he thought to himself 'What the fuck did I get myself into.'
-----
He watched the two teenagers that were sitting at the dining room table from where he was standing in the kitchen.

Wilbur had been relatively polite when he entered the house. He had introduced himself, shaking Sam's hand and smiling.

Sam was pleasantly surprised.

He expected that pleasant feeling to leave him once he left the two "alone". And he was correct.

The second Sam went into the kitchen to work on dinner, Wilbur began his flirting.

It wasn't heavy flirting.

Was it enough to make Sam feel annoyed?

Yes absolutely. But he let it slide.

That is until he heard Wilbur call his son sweetheart.

The conversation seemed normal, the two of them discussing what topic they were going to do their project on, alongside Wilbur's occasional flirty joke.

The two had gone silent for a bit, the only noises being the clicking of their keyboards and pens and the sound of writing as they did their research and took notes.

The silence was broken by George's voice.

"Hey, Wilbur?"

Wilbur responded with a quiet hum and the words, "Yes, sweetheart?"

Sam didn't hear George's response, the shock that ran through his body rendering him motionless and unable to hear the world around him as the words echoed around his head.

He was pulled back to reality by the sound of glass shattering, two surprised gasps, and the words "Dad!? Are you ok?"

He looked up to see George standing in the doorway looking concerned, and Wilbur standing just behind him looking equally concerned.

"Oh, yea. Sorry I just," He stopped for a moment contemplating his next words. "I got lost in thought."

It didn't seem to ease their worry, George still looking concerned and Wilbur looking skeptical.

"Ok," George's voice was hesitant. "Well, we need to clean up the glass."
"Oh! I can help if you need me to!" Wilbur said.

Sam was unable to stop himself from snapping.

"No!"

Both boys flinched, George looking shocked by the sudden burst of aggression and Wilbur looking mildly hurt.

"O-oh, uhm well, I should probably head home then. My parents need me home for dinner."

Sam almost felt bad.

Wilbur looked almost afraid. Nervously wringing his fingers together as he looked anywhere but at Sam.

However, any guilt he may have felt was easily overshadowed by anger as he remembered what the boy had called his son just a few minutes ago.

"Yea, you do that." His words were hostile, annoyance lacing not only his voice but his face as well as he glared at the teen.

Sam continued to glare at him, Wilbur continuing to look anywhere but his face.

"If you'd like, I could show you out," George suggested, his voice so soft it almost wasn't heard.

Sam watched as Wilbur looked at George, relaxing almost instantly.

"Yea, that'd be great." Wilbur said, giving the shorter boy a small smile, his eyes almost impossibly fond.

"Alright. Come on then."

Sam watched as George turned to exit the room, not missing the way he grabbed Wilbur's hand. He also didn't miss the look he gave Wilbur, looking both extremely fond and apologetic. Nor did he miss the look he sent his dad, looking confused and somewhat annoyed.

When the two were out of view, Sam leaned against the counter, putting his head in his hands and letting out a heavy sigh.

'This is harder than I thought it would be.'

A/N: Honestly that last line is how I feel about writing this. I didn't expect to have such an issue with writing Sam being mean to Wilbur. But now that I'm doing it, it kind of hurts me lmao.

Anyways have a nice day/night!