Chapter 9

When George had gone upstairs Sam remained sitting on the couch, thinking about the news he had just received.

He didn't change much for either of them.

Except that George could be more himself and Sam knew a new fact about his son.

He looked around the room, thinking about the things that changed since George was adopted.

The walls had been painted, furniture changed, pictures taken down, pictures put up. The house was much quieter. It was never an uncomfortable silence, but part of Sam misses the hum of noise that always seemed to be settled in the house when George was younger.

As he scanned the room his attention was caught by the book that sat on the edge of the dining room table.

The photo album.

Sam stood and moved across the room. He stopped in front of the table and picked up the book.

He tucked it underneath his arm and began walking upstairs.

As he walked down the hall he stopped outside George's bedroom door.

He knocked on the door, peeking inside the room when he didn't get an answer.

He looked to the bed and smiled when he saw his son laying underneath the covers. He was curled on his side, arm laying underneath his pillow. The burnet was sleeping, curled around a stuffed rabbit.

Sam carefully closed the door, moving to walk to his room.

He entered the dark room and walked over to sit on his bed. He leaned over and turned on the light before moving to sit against the headboard.

Sam grabbed a blanket and tossed it over his legs before opening the album back to the page he was looking at before he left.

He decided to skip over the rest of the page, not wanting to remind himself of his ex anymore than he had to.

The man turned to the page that was labeled as 'Gogy's First New Year'.

There were four pictures on this page.

The closest to the top was a picture of George standing at the bottom of the stairs.

His hair was messy and uncombed and he was still dressed in his pajamas. So it was clear that he had only woken up a few minutes before that. The small boy looked as if he was going to fall asleep where he was standing.

His body was leaned against the handrail and he had a stuffed rabbit tucked under his arm.

His sleepwear consisted of a pair of basketball shorts that were paired with one of Sam's shirts from when he was in high school.

Sam smiled fondly at the picture before moving to look at the next one.

This one was also of just George, except this time he was sitting at the dining room table.

He wasn't paying attention to the camera, too busy shoveling Nutella covered pancakes into his mouth. He was still dressed in his pajamas but he looked more awake.

The third photo was taken outside at a later time of day. This time George was dressed in a simple pair of black sweats with a blue long-sleeved shirt.

He was standing in their backyard, holding a sparkler an arm's length away.

The look on his face was something akin to pure joy. He was staring at the lit end of the sparkler in awe, amazed by the bright, shining colors.

The last photo was probably Sam's favorite.

The picture is of both Sam and George. They're both sitting in the grass, faces lit up by the soft orange light that was being admitted by the fire they were sitting near. Sam is sitting with his legs crossed, George sitting in his lap.

The two of them are looking up at the sky, staring up at the fireworks that were going off above them.

Sam stared at the photo until he felt his eyes getting heavy. He closed the book and placed it on the bedside table, turning the lamp off as he sunk onto his bed.

He stared up at the ceiling, thinking about the day he had just finished.

He laid there with his thoughts, eventually falling into darkness as he fell into his slumber.

A.N: Its been over a month but I finally updated WOOOOOOO. Its way shorter than originilly planed but i knew that if I didn't finish what I had and post it that it would never get done. I'll try to post the next chapter sooner but I can't make any promises.

Anyways leave comments plz. I want to read ur thoughts. It doesnt even have to be over this book. It can just be a random thought.

Also I have a Georgebur discord server :D
https://discord.gg/zzUYwYfCjJ