TOUCHED - Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Stay back! You know nothing about us or our lives!”

“It’s a felony!” Eric spat back.

“I don't care anymore about stupid laws!" Dillon screamed desperately, "She is my life! If this is where it ends I am going to hold on with everything I have!" He eyed both of us wildly, expecting to be challenged. “This has nothing to do with either of you!”

I was just as shocked by Dillon’s words but I couldn’t help watching for Eric’s response. He said nothing but his fists clenched inside his gloves. Turning away from Dillon and Anna he reached for the Guardian on his wrist. Before he could activate the thin clear device, and discover that it no longer worked for him, I intervened.

“Eric, they are both adults and he’s not hurting her-.”

“What do you mean he’s not hurting her? I can see what that pervert is doing from here!”

“And I say it’s none of your business!” I pressed, disgust poured off my words.

“But he has made us witnesses! We are just as guilty now-“

“-and I am telling you there are no soldiers for miles.” I added in a menacing tone. I took a step in his direction to drive home the implied threat.

Eric stared back at me, frozen in shock. I continued to slowly advance on him, daggers in my eyes. He swallowed hard, his right hand falling away from his left wrist as he took a few unsure steps back. When I was inches away I grabbed the blanket out of his hands and gave him one last pointed look before backing away.

I threw the woven blanket over Anna and took up a position behind one of the far couches, leaning on it and waiting. I remained alert, following Eric’s every move as he stood with the young couple between us. After several minutes he took a seat on the floor with his back against the far desk. I kept a careful eye on his hands.

“I know what you are both thinking. It doesn’t matter anymore. I just want to …” Dillon’s voice got thick. He gathered himself and started again. “I’m not sure how many heartbeats she has left…I just want to be here for-” He couldn’t finish where we all knew that sentence ended. Instead he leaned down and let his tears silently fall as he watched each slow breath.

“We don’t know if it’s the end- she might still wake up.” I spoke quietly but I knew I lacked conviction. The Guardian on her wrist had been smashed in the accident. There was no way to know for sure.

“You said you saw her eyes closing. If he can’t wake her…” Eric shifted uncomfortably but turned back to Dillon and continued. “She could start twitching at any minute and she’ll be dead in less than an hour. You really want to remember her that way?"

“What are you suggesting? Chuck her back in the street to die alone?” I stood as I spoke; disgusted at what he was suggesting and simultaneously trying to remind myself that I didn’t know him.

“Thousands of people have died alone!” Eric started yelling. “We are all going to die alone only he is determined to make it worse! Don’t you get it? Someone is going to see that bus! When they find them they will arrest everyone here as accomplices! And for what? So this felon can have one last depraved thrill? It’s pointless! She is as good as dead and you know it!"

“Your optimism is staggering” I spat back. “Do you volunteer for a suicide hotline or are you just naturally sympathetic?!” Ass.

“What is your problem?” Eric continued arrogantly, “No one asked you to save us, to do any of this. You have no say in how they choose to face their end. And you certainly don’t have the authority to make him stay and watch her die. The sooner he accepts that and moves on the better!”

“I should stitch that philosophy on a pillow,” I mocked, “We are all going to die alone so why bother. Your gratitude is overwhelming by the way. I’m blushing. It’s my first time saving someone who has nothing to live for!”

“You have no idea who I have lost!” He raged back, his face going red. I had found the nerve I was looking for but before I could retort, Dillon interrupted.

“We’re all entitled to find our own way through this.” Dillon’s choked voice brought us both back to the human suffering on the floor between us.

“There is no way through this. There is only postponing the inevitable.” Eric growled.

“What was your master plan then? Something was obviously important to you or you wouldn’t have been on that bus with us.” Dillon replied stubbornly, improving my opinion of him.

“I don’t make plans anymore. I just keep moving - going where ever each day takes me…” Eric’s eye’s lost focus and he spoke as if from a great distance. I sensed the despair behind his words.

“So, how far have you come?” Dillon asked without looking up.

All the air seemed to go out of Eric’s as he watched Dillon and Anna.

“Clearly not far enough.” His words expressed a bitterness I knew all too well.

Our small group of strangers went silent as sirens passed in the distance. I was tense as I watched each retreat into his head again; their own secrets and stories rising like phantoms. I could guess at what those phantoms were saying.

Reflexively I looked at Eric and before I could stop it, my own memories threatened to overwhelm me. I tried to breathe calmly as I reminded myself that it wasn’t really him. As soon as I could get a look at the Guardian strapped to my ankle my mind would stop torturing me and I would be sure. It would prove that my memories were messing with my head.

Still, the resemblance was remarkable and disturbing. As I let myself watch him the differences came back into focus. He was too tall, the face a little too long and the eyes were still brown instead of blue. Noticing those differences helped to bring me back to reality but the damage was already done. The old heartache exploded inside me before I could stop it.

The lobby started to spin and I felt a familiar haze and numbness settle over me. It relaxed my body and set off my mental alarms at the same time. Shit, the mutation. The last thing I needed in that moment. I was on my way to having a lot bigger problems than old ghosts or being turned in.

My heart skipped a beat as the forbidden face flashed through my memory again and again. I white knuckled the back of the couch, willing myself to stay strong. It was going to happen. It shouldn’t have been possible so soon but there was no denying the symptoms. I was furious, but the clock had already started. I had to get rid of them or leave. Now.

I stood up suddenly, breaking the spell of silence. “Let’s get you guys cleaned up so you can keep moving on as soon as…” we all looked at Anna’s small frail, still form in Dillon’s arms “…as you feel up to it.” I finished.

Not ready to separate the couple and desperate to feel like I wasn’t just abandoning them, I advanced on Eric. Once I had patched him up, I would have repaid him for what I took when I pulled him off that bus. I could leave with a free conscience. I reached behind the desk and pulled out my tattered messenger bag.