TOUCHED - Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Just ten feet away Eric was on his own precipice. He had never thought himself a coward or selfish but the last hour had stripped him of everything familiar and rational. He was horrified by one impossible thing after another that came out of her mouth. Worse yet, she had an uncomfortable way of finding his buttons and dropping an anvil on them.

He couldn’t wrap his brain around this odd creature before him. She seemed too small for the power she had over all of them. She was clearly a criminal and a violent person. So why had Dillon encouraged her help? Who had died and made her boss? The cynical voice in his head had to remind him that the answer to that question was “nearly everybody”.

She was wild, unpredictable and on her way to being a seditionist, completely content to take them all with her. She was awkward and irritating and from the moment she had appeared her eyes had dared him to fear her. Everything about her seemed to contradict itself. She was clearly not comfortable with what she was doing, touching another person’s skin with her own, or how illegal it was, but she was doing it on the chance that it would save a life; the life of a stranger. Who did that?

Eric told himself he would have reported or at least abandoned this perverse group had it not been for that last look from her. He had read the dare in those hard, dark blue eyes and was suddenly ashamed. And just as quickly he was furious. How could such a small insignificant stranger make him feel that small with only a look? He realized that instead of running he wanted to do the last thing she would expect, the last thing anyone who had known him would expect.