p.

Lochmore

When Marie awoke, she felt as though she'd been trapped in a terrible nightmare. Her entire life was so uncertain, but it hadn't been the day prior. She and Leopold had the world ahead and they were so excited for it. She was so excited for it, and for once in her life she felt like she was exactly where she needed to be, everything had fallen into place, only to crumble apart so abruptly. Marie was in complete and total misery. She mustered all of her strength just to slip out of bed. She tied her robe around her waist and stepped onto her beautiful hydrangea lined balcony. Tears pricked her eyes as she looked out at the kingdom. A heavy blanket of mist covered the rolling hills and she wondered what was going to happen...who would return to her? The devastating idea that neither of them would flashed through her fearful mind and suddenly everything was too much, the thought of that was too much to bear. 

She quickly stepped into a lavender day dress and hurried towards the stables

She quickly stepped into a lavender day dress and hurried towards the stables. She needed to ride away her problems. The stable boys readied Lune and as soon as he was able, they tore away. Away from the kingdom and towards the cliffs overlooking the sea. Her head was filled with a rapid slideshow of the memories she'd shared with Harry and Leopold...as the wind whipped against her cheeks and tears poured from her eyes, she let the weight of the world finally crash down upon her. Lune halted to a stop just before the steep decline overlooking the dark green channel. The water was rough and dark, the sun not quite ready to rise up above the foggy horizon. Marie's golden loose curls were blowing wildly in the wind and she did her best to breathe. Long, deep inhales and exhales, as the weight of everything really began to set in. But in that moment of fear and heartache, something else set in. Princess Marie began to plan for the Kingdom's future, if, heaven forbid, one or more of them failed to return. The pain in her chest was realer than anything she'd ever experienced, but she knew she had to persevere. She and Queen Louisa would have to take the reins if the unthinkable were to happen. They had to be strong for their people, it was their duty, after all. As Marie watched the channel churn angrily beneath her, she felt alone and afraid, and she prayed desperately to her god. "Mon dieu..." She begins to cry, "Please, mon dieu, guide them and keep them safe, I beg you." She strokes Lunes wild, silver mane. "I'll never ask for anything again. Bring them home to me. Just bring them home."

Spain — Five days later

The King led his two boys down the castle's dark corridors, following the Spanish guards. Leopold walked strongly beside his father, while Harry cowered close behind. He wouldn't admit it, but he was sick to his stomach. He was afraid, and not for any reason aside from the mere thought of never seeing the Princess of France again. If he never saw Marie again, if he were beheaded and left her in pain, that would truly be the very worst fate. But then, she'd never be his. So which fate was worse? A life of watching her fall further into his brother, her husband? Never being able to have her the way he wanted her. Never touch her the way he longed to touch her or feel her body become one with his. If he were to escape death, he'd have a lifetime of misery ahead of him, so really, death sounded almost better. Easier. It was a way out. A shortcut to a blissful afterlife.