Chapter Twelve

Hero

Hero braced both hands on the balcony railing and searched the crowded ballroom for Josephine. It was after midnight, and he was not in a good mood. He had just concluded another night of inquiries that had yielded few results. Granted, he had discovered more information concerning one of the mysterious snuffboxes that he sought, but so many other questions remained unanswered. He had the inexplicable sensation that time was running out quickly.

It took him a few minutes to spot Josephine. When he did catch a glimpse of her gleaming blonde hair on the far side of the ballroom, he finally realized why it had been so difficult to find her: She was surrounded by a sea of males, all of whom appeared to be vying eagerly for her attention.

She was chatting in an extremely familiar manner with a circle of gentlemen she could not possibly have met before tonight. Not only that but her high waisted, emerald-coloured gown was cut far too low, revealing too much of her soft bosom and gently moulded shoulders. She glowed like some exotic jewel, one he was certain that every man in the vicinity coveted.

Where were Felix And Anne? he wondered. They were supposed to be keeping an eye on the situation.

As he watched, one of the gentlemen near Josephine bowed over her gloved fingers and escorted her out onto the dance floor. Whatever she was saying to her companion must have been vastly amusing, Hero decided grimly. The man was grinning like a fool.

His evening had been deteriorating for the past few hours, he thought. The sight of his phoney fiancée enjoying herself on the dance floor with a complete stranger was the last straw. Matters were clearly out of control down there in the ballroom.

He shoved himself away from the railing and started toward the stairs.

"Allow me to congratulate you on your charming fiancée, Tiffin," a familiar voice drawled behind him.

He paused and looked back at the tall man coming toward him along the balcony. "Hathersage."

"I had the great pleasure of dancing with Miss Langford earlier this evening. A most unusual lady." Hathersage stopped and glanced down at the dancers. He chuckled. "Indeed, I am giving serious consideration to employing your strategy in my search for a wife."

"What do you mean?"

"Why, I am referring to your brilliant notion of interviewing candidates for the position at an agency that specializes in supplying paid companions, of course."

Hero's blood ran cold. Had Josephine told Hathersage the whole truth about the deception? Surely not.

"She mentioned the agency?" he asked warily.

"I vow it was the most amusing tale I have heard in weeks," Hathersage replied. "It will be on everyone's lips tomorrow. Such lively wit is a valuable asset in a wife, just as it is in any other type of companion."

Josephine had given Hathersage the truth, but because it was so outrageous, he had not believed it, Hero realized, relaxing somewhat.

The rest of the Polite World would follow Hathersage's lead, he thought. All was well.

"She is quite unique," Hero said.

"Indeed." Hathersage's eyes narrowed slightly. "You will want to keep an eye on her, Tiffin. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that some of those men hanging around her down there right now are already plotting to lure her away from you."

Fucking hell. Was it possible that Hathersage himself might be contemplating such a move? He was said to be in the market for a new wife, and he was certainly wealthy enough to be able to look past a lady's finances.