Chapter Fifteen

Hero

Hero leaned back in his chair and watched Zach closely while the butler told his tale. “I assure you, there’s no great harm done, sir,” Zach concluded with grave sincerity. “I won’t breathe a word about your secret plans.”

“Indeed?”

“Of course not, sir.” Zach raised his noble chin and set his broad shoulders. “I am nothing if not loyal to you.”

“You say Miss Langford let the secret slip when she tried to lure you into her bedchamber?”

“Naturally, I did not accept the invitation, sir, even though she was dressed in nothing but a white linen nightgown trimmed with little blue ribbons. I take my responsibilities to my post very seriously.”

“I see.”

Zach sighed. “In fairness, you should not place too much blame on Miss Langford’s frail shoulders.”

“Why do you say that?”

Zach made a tut-tutting sound. “A lady of her age and station in life has little hope of contracting any sort of respectable marriage, does she? Her sort has no choice but to look elsewhere when the urge takes ‘em if you know what I mean.”

The door opened abruptly. Josephine stormed into the library. Anne was directly behind her.

“Do not listen to a word Zach says.” Josephine strode briskly across the room. She was flushed with anger. “He is a liar and a blackmailer who takes advantage of the other servants. I have informed him that he must quit this house immediately.”

Hero rose politely to his feet. “Good morning, Miss Langford. He inclined his head to Anne. “Please be seated, both of you.”

Anne sat down immediately, her face bright with anticipation. “Well, now, this should prove interesting,” she said to no one in particular.

Josephine appeared not to have heard his suggestion that she take one of the chairs. Instead, she halted in front of his desk, her eyes snapping with anger.

“Zach forces the other servants to give him half of their wages,” she announced. “That’s what he charges them to allow them to keep their posts. It is despicable. Sally and Ned told me it is also the reason why the housekeeper, the cook and the gardener left a few months ago, leaving this household woefully understaffed.”

Zach gave her a pitying expression and shook his head. “I fear that Miss Langford is suffering from an affliction of the nerves, sir. Female hysteria, no doubt. I’ve seen this sort of thing before in unmarried ladies of a certain age. A vinaigrette is sometimes helpful.”

Josephine gave him a look of utter contempt. “Do you deny it?”

“Of course.” Zach drew himself up proudly. “If his lordship wishes to verify my innocence in this matter, he has only to question the servants. I’m quite certain that both Sally and Ned will tell him that I make no such demands of them.”

“Sally and Ned are both terrified of you, Zach,” she said. “They will say anything you order them to say.”

It was interesting to watch Josephine when she was blazing with righteous anger, Hero thought. Unfortunately, he did not have time to indulge himself in this scene today.

“Will you please sit down, Josephine?” he said quietly.

“In addition to his despicable treatment of Sally and Ned, Zach eavesdropped on you,” she said.

“That is a lie.” Zach whirled back to confront Hero. “I would not dream of listening to my employer’s private conversations. It was young Sally who overheard you, sir, and came straight to me with the news that Miss Langford was merely a paid employee. Naturally, I ordered her and Ned to keep silent about your private affairs. They will do as they are told. I stand ready to assist you in your plans in any way I can.”