Chapter Twenty Nine

Jeremy Clyde slouched out of the front door of the brothel. He ignored the handful of carriages and hacks waiting in the street hoping for fares. He needed some fresh air. His head was buzzing from the copious quantities of wine he had consumed.

He tried to think of where to go next. His club? One of the hells? The only other option was to go home to the shrew he had so foolishly wed. That was the very last thing he wished to do. She would be waiting for him with a long list of questions and demands.

He had thought that marrying a wealthy woman would solve all of his troubles. Instead, it had increased his misery a thousandfold. Nothing had gone right since Josephine had lost her lands and her inheritance. If only her stepfather had not been so damnably stupid.

If only. It seemed to Jeremy that he repeated that phrase a hundred times each day.

It was not fair. Here he was, trapped in a dreadful marriage, hostage to the whims of his wife’s stingy parent, while Josephine had landed on her feet like the cat she was. She was going to marry one of the wealthiest and most powerful men in town. How could that be? It simply was not fair.

A man came toward him out of the darkness. Jeremy hesitated uncertainly. He relaxed when the light of the gas lamps revealed the fine, elegant coat and the gleaming boots that the stranger wore. Whoever he was, he was most certainly a gentleman, not a footpad.

“Good evening, Clyde,” the man said with an easy air.

“Beg your pardon,” Jeremy muttered. “Have we met?”

“Not yet.” The stranger swept him a mocking bow. “Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Stone.”

There was only one explanation for Stone’s air of amused familiarity, Jeremy thought grimly. “I suppose you’re going to tell me that the reason you know my name is that you witnessed my fall in the park the other afternoon or else heard the gossip concerning it. Save your breath.”

Stone chuckled. He draped his arm around Jeremy’s shoulder in a companionable way. “I admit that I was present on that unfortunate occasion, but I was not amused by your predicament. Indeed, I felt nought but a great sympathy. I also know that, had I been in your shoes, I would be eager for a bit of revenge against the gentleman who had caused me such humiliation.”

“Bah. There’s little chance of that.”

“Do not be so certain, sir. I may be able to assist you. You see, I have made a study of Fiennes Tiffin. I have set street boys to watch him from time to time, and I have interviewed his recently deceased butler who was, I assure you, a veritable font of information. I know many things about the earl and his very unusual fiancée, things that I think you will find extremely interesting.”