Epilogue

Hero

One year later...

“What you must keep in mind when you contemplate a financial investment is that it is important to look beneath the surface.” Hero leaned back in his desk chair and studied his small audience. “Ask the questions that others neglect to ask. Make notes. Consider what can go wrong, as well as what you hope will turn out well. Is that clear?”

The twins gurgled at him from the depths of their cradles. Little David watched him closely, obviously fascinated with the lecture. His sister, Agatha, however, appeared more interested in her rattle, but Hero knew that she was absorbing every detail. Like her mother, she was quite capable of doing two things at once.

He smiled at both of them. There was no doubt about it, he was the father of the most intelligent, most beautiful children in the entire world.

Outside the window, spring had arrived on the estate. Warm sunlight poured into the room. The countryside was green and the gardens were in bloom.

He had brought Josephine here shortly after they were married. London was all very well for the occasional visit, he thought, but neither of them was suited to long periods spent in Society. In any event, the air here in the country was far more healthful for the children.

“Money is not the most important thing in the world,” Hero continued, “but it is an extremely useful commodity.”

The door of the library opened. Josephine, fresh and vivid in a rose-coloured gown, whisked into the room. She had a familiar-looking journal in her hand.

“Especially in this household,” Hero added dryly. “Because your mother appears to be able to spend an endless amount of it on her charities.”

Josephine raised her brows as she walked toward him. “What nonsense are you telling the children?”

“l am giving them sound financial advice.” He got to his feet and kissed her when she came to a halt in front of him. Then he looked warily at the journal. “Do not tell me, let me guess. You require more funds for your new orphanage, correct?”

She gave him her wonderfully brilliant smile, the one that never failed to warm all the places deep inside him, and leaned over the cradles to play with the infants.

“The construction is nearly complete,” she said over her shoulder. “I just need a bit more to cover the cost of the changes to the design of the gardens.”

“As I recall, the gardens were covered in the original budget.”

“Yes, but I want them expanded. We did agree that the children will need a pleasant, tractive place to play. It is important that they get plenty of fresh air and exercise.”

He had married a lady of many talents, he thought. Under her supervision, everything in his world, including the children and himself as well as her newly established charities and their various households, thrived.

“You are correct, my sweet,” he said. “The children in the orphanage will need excellent gardens.”

“I knew you would understand.” She straightened, opened her journal and made a quick note. “I shall send word to the architect this very afternoon telling him to proceed.”

He laughed. Very gently he removed the journal from her fingers and set it down on the desk.

“You once asked me what I did to make myself happy,” he said. “I did not respond to your question that day in the park because I could not. | did not know the answer, you see. Now I do.”

She smiled, her love as clear and bright as the morning sun. “And what is the answer, sir?”

He took her into his arms. “Loving you makes me the happiest man in the world.”

“Oh, my dear Hero,” she whispered. Joy filled her heart. Her arms slid up around his neck. “I did tell you once that you would make a most excellent husband, did I not? You must admit that I was correct.”

He would have laughed, but he much preferred to kiss her instead.

The End

______________________________________

AN: Hello dear readers, we finally came to an end to this journey on Hero and Josephine's story.

If you enjoy this book, I have a new one coming up. It's called 'Never Less Than A Lady' and it's based on how much a young girl can suffer when it comes to arranged marriage around this Victorian era. I'd like to mention that the story is heavily involved in subjects as Abuse —all kinds of it to be exact — from sexual abuse to substance abuse. If you do like to read it, I'll be more than happy and grateful to read your feedback on it.

Without any further to do, please enjoy the Prologue on Never Less Than A Lady now available on my page.