Chapter Sixteen

Josephine

It was just going on five o'clock when Hero drove the sleek carriage through the gates of the large park. Perched next to him, dressed in her new blue carriage gown with its matching hat, Josephine reminded herself for the thousandth time that she was merely a paid companion who had been employed to perform a part. But deep down she could not resist the temptation to pretend for just a little while that the play had become reality and that Hero had invited her to drive with him because he wanted to be with her.

The scene spread out before she was lively and colourful. The spring afternoon was sunny and warm and, as was the custom in town, many in the Polite World had come to the park to see and be seen.

The tops of many of the vehicles had been lowered to better display the elegantly dressed passengers. Several gentlemen rode exquisitely turned-out mounts on a neighbouring path. They paused frequently to greet those in the carriages, exchange gossip and flirt with the ladies. Couples who took a turn around the park together were, in fact, announcing to Society that marriage plans had either been arranged or were being seriously considered.

Josephine was not surprised to discover that Hero handled the reins the way he did everything else, with a smooth, efficient skill and quiet authority. The beautifully matched, well-schooled greys responded instantly to his touch.

"I located Watt in a livery stable," Hero said.

"Was he able to tell you any details concerning your great-uncle's death?"

"Watt said that on the day of the murder, he and Uncle George spent the better part of the afternoon working on some experiments in the laboratory. After the evening meal, George retired to his bedchamber upstairs. Watt went to bed, too. His bedchamber is located downstairs, near the laboratory."

"Did he hear anything that night?"

Hero nodded grimly. "Watt said he was sound asleep but was jolted into wakefulness by some odd noises and what he thought was a muffled cry from inside the laboratory."

"He went to investigate?"

"Yes. It was not uncommon for Uncle George to go back into his laboratory late at night to check on the results of an experiment or make notes in his journal. Watt feared that he had had some mishap. But the door of the laboratory was locked. Watt had to retrieve a key from his bedside table. While he was doing so, he heard two pistol shots."

"Dear heaven. Did he see the killer?"

"No. By the time he got into the laboratory, the villain had fled through a window."

"What of your great-uncle?"

"Watt found him on the floor, dying in a pool of blood."

Josephine shuddered at the thought of that scene. "How dreadful."

"Uncle George was still partially conscious. He mumbled some words before he died. Watt said that they made no sense to him. He assumed that George was experiencing some strange hallucination brought on by the mortal injury."

"Did Watt recall what he said?'

"Yes," Hero said evenly. "According to him, my great-uncle's dying words were meant for me. George said, Tell Hero that Mercury is still alive."