Chapter Four - The guy out the window

Thank you all for coming back for Chapter 4! All your reviews for the last chapter were so thoughtful and I love that you're all enjoying it! Once again thank you for the support and for reading .... welcome to chapter four!

"And I love you. To the moon and back, more than all the stars in the galaxy."

It's been a couple days since Shelby woke up to all the chaos, or well the chaos from her family. She can tell there is going to be a lot more chaos coming her way. Like today for instance.

Today she is taking Rachel to a kids pediatrician and a children's dentist. Considering that Rachel is only three years old and has probably never been to the doctors or dentist it's fair to say that I might be a hard experience for the toddler.

"Ok Rachel. What do you want to wear today?" Shelby asks. Rachel stands up from the floor and toddles over to the closet full of clothes.

"Uhhhh ... Elsa!" She exclaims. Shelby chuckles and takes the grey shirt with long sleeves and Elsa on it, off it's hanger and sets it down beside Rachel. She then grabs a pair of toddler skinny jeans and a pair of navy blue Mary Janes.

After getting Rachel dressed she takes the little girl into the bathroom to brush her teeth and comb out her hair.

"Mama?" Rachel asks while Shelby brushes her hair into a ponytail. "Yeah Rach?" Shelby answers the three year old.

"When me see Elsa?" She asks.

Shelby chuckles. "Well I don't know. Soon though." She says. Rachel nods, satisfied.

In the doctor's waiting room Rachel sits on Shelby's lap on the floor. Shelby is reading Rachel a book while they wait.

"Rachel Corcoran?"

Shelby stands up with Rachel in her arms and follows the doctor into the back. She sets Rachel on the table and stands beside her.

"You mentioned in her paperwork that this will be her first doctors appointment." The doctor starts. Dr. Malissa Martinez was actually Shelby's doctor when Shelby was a little girl. From newborn to age seventeen.

She lived and worked in Columbus where Shelby is from but relocated when her husband passed away to be closer to her son who was going to a community college in Akron.

She was especially surprised to see that Shelby had a little girl of her own when she saw who her next patient was. A little three year old girl named Rachel Barbra Corcoran.

Shelby nods. "Yes. I believe so at least. If she had gone to the doctors it was when she would have been an infant so she doesn't remember." Shelby explains.

The doctor looks up in surprise but says nothing and takes notes on her clipboard.

"I also noticed that she has no medical records? Can you explain that for me? What happened to them?"

Shelby sighs sadly. "I just got her back you see. She was living with her fathers until a couple days ago and they weren't ... um well they were ... abusive." Shelby mumbles the last part. Tears trim her eyes as she chokes it out. It leaves a bitter and nasty tast in her mouth.

Dr. Martinez nods slowly. She instantly feels sad for her former patient. She's known Shelby all her life and it genuinely hurts her heart to hear this.

"But, I did include her medical records from my pregnancy, her birth and when she was born." Says Shelby.

Shelby was able to keep her pregnancy medical files and records for both her and Rachel. And she begged the nurse for her daughter's medical files after she 'died'.