thirty six

*NOTE: This chapter has been edited because I accidently wrote the wrong name for Finn throughout

*NOTE: This chapter has been edited because I accidently wrote the wrong name for Finn throughout. For some reason, my brain was certain that it was Flynn xD Sorry about that! 

"ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY certain that this has to be done in the forest?" Sophie asked. She followed Finn through the halls. Both moved at a rushed pace and clung to the shadows, trying to remain undetected.

"There is a specific spot that I have in mind," Finn explained. His voice was quiet — hardly above a mere whisper. "It will be perfect for what we are going to do. And it should provide some mild protection from the Revenants, as well as privacy."

"Ah," Sophie muttered under her breath.

It made her nervous to enter the forest. It was hard to tell what part of the forest the Revenants roamed or where they might attack next. But depending on what Finn had planned for her neck, she could understand the need for privacy. Doing anything on campus could potentially attract the attention of students or other faculty — which Aelia had specifically instructed them to prevent, according to Finn. She didn't want anyone to think that it was okay to leave their rooms or apartments.

They traveled to the depths of the castle, into an area that even Sophie was unfamiliar with. They turned a corner, entering an older and somewhat abandoned-looking hallway. Cobwebs clung to the dim light fixtures and a layer of dust had collected atop the stone floor. A thin, slightly tattered rug stretched from one end of the hall to the other. And as they ventured further, Sophie saw that they were approaching a dead-end. She glanced around at the walls that surrounded them and then focused on Finn. She was curious to see what his next move would be.

Finn reached out and pressed his palm flat against a single jagged stone — a stone that stuck out just a bit more compared to the other stones that surrounded it. The stone sunk into the wall and a hidden door appeared within the stones. It slid away, revealing the dark forest that waited beyond the walls of the castle.

The hidden door did not surprise Sophie at all. There were several spread out throughout the castle, all leading to the forest. Most were heavily guarded right now. Though it made sense to Sophie that one of the doors might be left open, considering Aelia was on board with Finn removing the mark on her throat. She had probably instructed the guards to allow them access.

Finn stepped through the hidden doorway and Sophie followed him into the night. As they darted toward the edge of the forest, a heavy rumbling sound quaked through the air behind them. Sophie's eyes widened and she glanced back over her shoulder. The stone doorway had slid back into its place, concealing itself within the wall.

Moonlight did little to pierce through the thick canopy of tree branches that swayed above their heads — dancing in the gentle night time breeze. Small stars dotted the dark expanse that stretched above their heads, an endless canvas of dark navy blues, indigos, and deep ebony blacks. Small leaves and thin blades of grass crunched beneath their feet with each hurried step. As they walked, Sophie tried to remain hypervigilant of the trees that surrounded her. Any sound that disrupted the quiet night caused the little hairs on her arms to stand tall.

Finn glanced back over his shoulder at her as they walked. He seemed to instantly read her mind. His smile was warm and reassuring. "Yes," he said. "I promise that I will protect you from anything that we come across."

Part of her wanted to believe him — but she knew better. She is the one that had to save him from a Revenant after all.

The mountain grew closer and closer, until finally a carved hole became visible within the rugged, exposed bedrock — a cave.

As they approached the mouth of the cave, Sophie started to feel hesitant. A muted sense of alarm formed within the back of her mind. It took root within her stomach as a twisted, uneasy feeling. She slowed to a stop and glanced around. Nothing stood out within the thick cluster of trees that surrounded them.

"Is everything alright?" Finn asked her. He paused and glanced over his shoulder, a crease forming between his brows. His eyes shifted around, gaze scanning over the trees. "I don't think that it's a good idea to stay out here for too long. We're too exposed."

Her lips pressed together into a tight line. She surveyed the entrance to the cave.

A few moments passed, and his foot began to tap. He crossed his arms over his chest and frowned at her. "What is wrong?"

"You want to go inside the cave?" she questioned. Her gaze remained transfixed upon the massive, gaping hole in front of her. It was so dark within the cave — even her enhanced vision could hardly pick up anything immediately inside the cave.

The mere idea of venturing into the cave sent chills racing up and down her spine.

"You've already come this far," Finn told her. His arms dropped to his sides and he offered her an encouraging smile. "This cave will provide us with some semblance of protection. We won't have to worry about any of the Revenants attempting to attack us from behind. It will be easier to focus on your throat when we only have to watch one entrance."

"Won't it also trap us inside?" she asked. Her arms crossed over her chest. That little alarm inside the depths of her mind began to ring a little louder. "How long will this take?"

Finn's encouraging smile faded a bit. "It's hard to say exactly. It will depend on how your throat reacts."

Sophie shoved her hands into her pockets, her frown increasing. Her fingers curled tight around her cellphone. "Okay, I guess," she muttered under her breath. Uneasiness flooded through her as she took a step forward.

Finn's cheeky grin returned.

A rustle sounded within the forest behind them — branches and leaves brushing against one another. Panic flooded through Sophie. She looked around at the trees that surrounded them. Nothing stood out within the trees as the source of the sound.

She chanced a hasty glance at Finn. His eyes were narrowed, focused on the trees.

"Hurry," Finn whispered to her. 

~
hi friends!
I hope you are having an amazing week so far!! ❤️ Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my work! You are amazing!!

- ash ❤️